Jul 2, 2011, 1:24 AM EDT
Baseball truly is a wonderful game.
- Rich Harden, making his first start for the A’s since July 6, 2008, went six innings without walking a batter to defeat the Diamondbacks in his season debut. It’s just the 10th time in 146 career starts that he’s pitched at least six innings and not walked a batter. He walked two batters every three innings for the Rangers last season.
- Wily Mo Pena, who was playing for the Bridgeport Bluefish a year ago, delivered a line-drive homer for the Diamondbacks, giving him four homers in seven starts and three pinch-hitting appearances since his callup.
- Batting one spot below him was Sean Burroughs, who was even further removed from the majors than Pena a year ago. He was eating out of trash cans in Las Vegas.
OK, so Burroughs went 0-for-3. He might end up back in the minors next week. Pena could join him there a couple of weeks later. Harden will surely return to the DL at some point.
But tonight was cool, and it served as a good reminder to never count anyone out.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)