Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Jul 2, 2011, 8:33 AM EDT

San Diego Padres v Seattle Mariners Getty Images

How about a little appreciation for Jason Vargas? Granted, pitching against the Padres at Safeco Field isn’t exactly the toughest matchup in the world, but after his six-hit, complete-game shutout last night, he is now tied with James Shields for the American League lead with three shutouts.

OK, so I’m mostly mentioning this so I have an excuse to post a picture of the throwback unis the Mariners were wearing last night. Am I crazy for actually liking them?

Your Friday box scores:

Red Sox 7, Astros 5

Brewers 2, Twins 6

Royals 0, Rockies 9

Dodgers 5, Angels 0

Diamondbacks 4, Athletics 5

1. Old Gator - Jul 2, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Oh sweet mama, yo daddy got them Deep Elem blues. Well, the Feesh managed five honor runs in losing by a ten-run margin. Anibal Sanchez, who has been terrific in posting five consecutive no-decisions during the Feesh’s epic June collapse, pitched like he had the flu last night. Or maybe he just ought to avoid those Deep Elem burritos. Anyway, July starts off on a sour note for the Feesh, for whom the strange attractor looks like a corkscrewing little speck of tarnished chrome in the firmament by now. And someone really ought to tell Nolan Ryan what a beerbellied cracker dumbshit he looks like in Izod.

2. cur68 - Jul 2, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Look on the bright side Gator; Juan Rivera does not play Left Field for the Feesh. Hell, he barely played left for the Beaver Boys. So my boys lost to Kyle Kendrick, who had enough control to likely break Escobar’s left hand, hit J.P. Arencebia in his hand, just about clobber The Most Interesting Batter In The World on the chin, give up enough runs to see my boys lose and regain the lead 3 times and he STILL won. Thanks Juan. Thanks a f#$k of a lot.

This afternoon The Hired Sons of Beaver Land gotta make a go of it against Big Roy. Frankly, if what happens to them isn’t the same or worse than what happened to the Feesh against the Rangers, I’ll be very surprised. I see a 5 or more run loss tonight. Simply put, Ricky Romero was our best pitcher and the Phills put 3 runs on him. Carlos Villenueva is a good pitcher, but he ain’t no Ricky. Roy will, of course, be Roy.

The only joy in my world yesterday afternoon was yelling “Get that Bastid!” in the 9th. I hope to never see that Bastardo again.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Sorry, Seisenta y ocho, but I’m gonna hafta pour some salinated lemon juice in that wound of yours. KK didn’t win it—in fact, he tried to lose it several times. The Red Jays bull pen blew two saves, giving none other than Danys Baez the win. It was a stunningly inept game on bothe sides, but the Phightins apparently didn’t want it less.

• cur68 - Jul 3, 2011 at 2:04 AM

“It was a stunningly inept game on both sides”

Agree.

• chadjones27 - Jul 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I think the Jays need to get rid of that bum Canada. Between him and Canada it’s amazing they stood a chance. At least Canada hit a homerun.

• cur68 - Jul 3, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Damn right. That A-Hole Canada couldn’t pitch a lick in relief, neither. Canada does lead the majors in home runs though. Way to go Canada. Clearly you had a good day and you are the Most Interesting Hitter in The World.

3. tellyspop - Jul 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM

“And someone really ought to tell Nolan Ryan what a beerbellied cracker dumbshit he looks like in Izod.”

Beer bellied? I doubt it, Cracker, born in Alvin, Tx., possibly… But dumbsh*t? 25 years in the majors, HOF first ballot, all kinds of MLB records, outplayed Mark Cuban in bankruptcy court to buy the Rangers, got rid of his so-called partner, Greenie, parlayed that into the Ranger’s first World Serious, I don’t think so. As for the Izod, I’ll put that against your “Members Only” jacket.

If you find his appearance and attitude so despicable why don’t YOU be the one to tell him about your objections? You could really be “Old Gator” then, instead of “Old Gutless.”

“How about that, Mr. Fung?”

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I think you are being overly sensitive and hostile in your post. He didn’t say Nolan Ryan was those things, he said when he wears Izod he looks like those things. Big difference.

• Old Gator - Jul 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Hell, Doc, the guy’s got a point, even if he isn’t the world’s most discriminating reader. Let the Express haul away and clock me one. A little dental work – which he’d have to pay for anyway – and I can retire on the legal settlement.

Oops – I am retired. Heh. Well, I guess I could always retire again. Like Jack McKeon.

4. yankeesfanlen - Jul 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM

There’s a really MVP caliber shortstop in New York, carries the whole team 4-for-4 with an RBI last night……..oh, wait, that was Nunez replacing our fallen idol.
    More edge-of-your seat drama from Nova-caine. Guess who isn’t going to be in a five man rotation.
    Girardi’s perserverance in training everyone on the basepaths to not goi beyond 3rd without the express written permission of the Commissioner of Small Ball has spread even to Cano. Run not scored.
    Big Bart is ready for his second round today. Only game the Yanks could have lost was last night. Enjoy, after this weekend our 8 game (by then) streak will be visited by another venerated shortstop.

• uyf1950 - Jul 2, 2011 at 10:58 AM

yankeesfanlen, my friend. Here is a very good link on what if with the Yankees rotation. I think you will enjoy it.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Happy 4th of July weekend to you, uyf. I liked the article- put things in practical perspective instead of a bunch of stats that can only tell what has been.Kind of surprised it took such a dim view of Garcia, he gets us through innings.
        Nova is a nail-biter, it would be fine with me if he goes to the minors for a while.
        As you probably know, Bart has been my favorite since spring training. Today we’ll find out if he’;s gathered any rust on the DL.
        Grandy needs a break-out day, he’s been a trifle tentative over the last 5-6 games.

• uyf1950 - Jul 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Happy 4th of July weekend to you as well, my friend.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Nunez= MVP? Is that Most Vulnerable Position Player? I’m still waiting for him to make it through a game without some bonehead error.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Don’t you love farce? Another bit player (once and partially) saving the game (kinda).

5. uyf1950 - Jul 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Nunez winds up going 4 for 4 probably the best offensive day in his short career with the big league club. He is batting .309 since replacing Jeter while he is on the DL. And while Nunez’s defense leaves something or a lot to be desired his offense and aggressiveness of late at the SS position is a welcome change. But alas when Jeter returns be it Monday or whenever Nunez will be relegated to the bench and the occasional once a week start, maybe. I like Jeter but he at this stage of his career is hampering the growth of 2 young and potential future stars. Gardner because as we all know will be relegated to the bottom of the order once Jeter returns and in all fairnees it should be the other way around. And Nunez, who should be given more opportunities to prove himself at SS. Those are just my opinions.

• uyf1950 - Jul 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Oh. BTW, I neglected to mention the Yankees are still in first place in the AL East, have the 2nd best record in the Major Leagues and are 16-4 since being swept by the Red Sox the early part of June. Much of that coincides with Jeters absence. Sorry about leaving that out.

• Ari Collins - Jul 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM

You also left out how they have the most home games played in the majors. 13 more home than away. To 4 more road than home for the Sox.

• Ari Collins - Jul 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Err, that was pre-yesterday. Now it’s 12 and 3.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Ari, let’s look at this home-away split philosophically. If, for example, you play more home games early, doesn’t it make it more challenging when pennant races heat up in /aug-Sept?Thus, home wins are “in the bank” and road wins are more plentiful and harder to achieve.
        Specifically, after 120 games, wouldn’t you like more homestands rather than less?
        I can only reference the Brewers right now that have tremendous home field advantage, and on the other hand have gotten through road (losses) so it could be easier down the stretch.
        Takes 162 games to determine the winner.

• Ari Collins - Jul 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, I’d rather have more homestands late. That’s why I’d rather have the Sox than the Yanks schedule going forward. That the Sox are only 2.5 GB despite having played 9 more road games is pretty good.

• Old Gator - Jul 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Just a characteristically deep thought here, Len. Suppose that Jeter’s absence really is responsible for the Borg regrouping and seizing the lead. Does that mean that the bloated contract the Borg gave Beep-Beep this past offseason is actually worth it? I mean, is it like paying Jeter not to play in order to insure that the Borg grabs the division? What’s better – spending that kind of money so that someone stays home and you win, or spending it so that someone plays and you lose? Addition by subtraction, I guess. But clearly money well spent either way, no?

I trust I make myself obscure?

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 2, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Well, there you go Gator, mirroring my nefarious scene that the conspirators are well aware of. The Pestilkence readers fell for it hook, line, and sTinker.
        Beep-beep: “I love it here, the fans love me, I can’t play anymore but let them down gracefully”
        Cash: “We’ll throw you 17M, pretend you’re mad to begin to tarnish the image”
        Beep-beep:” Hey, great idea. Then I get the sympathy AND the money for Jeterville-Phase II”
        Cash: “Let me root through YES petty cash, oh, here it is.”
        Beep-beep: “I’ll reaslly suck this year, don’t worry, maybe even take in a stint or two on the DL in case we’re behind”

Death of a Shortstop. See ya Biff.

• Old Gator - Jul 2, 2011 at 2:27 PM

In which case I guess the question is whether Beep-Beep is liked or well liked when he can’ be the black hole in the batting order.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 2, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Aw, c’mon Gator, you know I’m only good enough to toss a periodic literary softball.Although, it’s a double over the head around here most times.

• uyf1950 - Jul 2, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Ari, yes I did fail to mention the Yankees have played more home games then away games and as you mentioned it’s 12 more games (46 home versus 34 away). I also neglected to mention the Yankees home winning % is .609 versus their away winning % of .618. So while some fans mostly non Yankee fans seem insistent on bringing up the difference it would seem to me that having played 42% of their away games already should be enough of a representative sample to draw some conclusions as to how they will play for the balance of their away games. That in 5 days they Yankees will have played nearly 1/2 of their 81 scheduled road games or 48%. Certainly enough of a representative sample to draw some conclusions as to how the remaining 83 or 52% of their remaining away games may go. While I recognize there are no guarantees and of course the Yankees still must play all those games I like many Yankees fans like what they have seen to date…and the schedule being what it is and something no team has control over I’d rather the Yankees be ahead in the standings by 2.5 games then them be behind by 2.5 games or more. That’s just my opinion.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 2, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Len, I can’t decide whether you’re dazzlingly brilliant; or attempting to baffle with bullshit, either way, great job.

• Ari Collins - Jul 3, 2011 at 12:21 AM

That’s not how home and away games work, though. Doing well on the road doesn’t mean you wouldn’t have done better if it were at home. That’s just… my friend, that’s just not how likelihoods work. If I roll a weighted dice and get numbers that aren’t what it was weighted for, that doesn’t mean it’s not weighted, just that the weight doesn’t completely decide where the dice goes. It just makes some results more likely.

Before you try to argue what home and road records prove, you ought to read a statistics book, my friend. I’m not trying to be insulting, just that your statistical naivete is working against you, here. You seem like a smart guy and I don’t want you to be showing ignorance.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Now wait, Ari, you’ll see that it was put as a philosophical question, nothing scientificNo need to tell me my stats are wrong when I didn’t use any, just some overall observations.
        Something of an equivalent to Yankees fans crying injuries due to the loss of minor players.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 3, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Aw, Jimbo- Perhaps chalk it up to dazzling brilliant bullshit, thanks for the props!

• Ari Collins - Jul 3, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Sorry, Len, wasn’t clear: I was responding to uyf.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Ari- That’s cool, us AL guys have to stick together or the scourge of non-DH basball will overtake our glorious game that doesn’t let pitchers bat periodically and ineffectually.

6. APBA Guy - Jul 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM

The A’s got a separate post about Harden making a winning start last night. That’s nice. This new Rich Harden is a two-pitch guy, fastball and change-up, which is good for 2 rotations through the lineup. Especially since the fast ball was 5 mph slower than the original model Rich Harden. Still, if he keeps locating, he can be a good 5-6 inning guy, a swing starter maybe or a # 5 with a team like the A’s. Until the next DL trip, by which time hopefully one of the other DL’d pitchers will be ready.

Harden exited with a 5-2 lead, which Fuentes quickly turned into 5-4. Fortunately Bob2 yanked Gasoline Man and replaced him with a reliever carrying an ERA under 4.50 and the A’s preserved a win.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. T. Wood (5191)