Jul 3, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
When the Blue Jays took back Juan Rivera and Mike Napoli as the price for shedding Vernon Wells‘ deal in a trade with the Angels, it was with the idea of sending both elsewhere before the season started. It worked out fine with Napoli, who was moved on to Texas for Frank Francisco, but the Jays never could find a taker for Rivera and they designated him for assignment following Sunday’s game.
With a .243/.305/.360 line, six homers and 28 RBI in 248 at-bats this season, Rivera hadn’t done anything since Opening Day to enhance his trade value. He was hitting .327 in 55 at-bats against lefties, but versus righties, he came in at .219. Considering that he’s making $5.25 million and he has no defensive value at all, no team was too interested in adding him to its bench. Perhaps that will change if he gets his release and a club will only have to pay him the minimum.
Getting another chance in Toronto is 23-year-old Travis Snider. Snider was sent down after hitting .184/.276/.264 with one homer in 87 at-bats to begin the season, but he had come in at .333/.403/.488 in 201 at-bats for Triple-A Las Vegas. There is a huge caveat there: Las Vegas is a premier offensive environment in the already hitter friendly PCL. However, Snider hit .380/.449/.570 in his 19 road games while playing with the 51s.
What isn’t so impressive was that Snider had just two homers. He did have 21 doubles and two triples, but for the year now, he has just three homers in 288 at-bats between the majors and minors. That’s a far cry from what was expected from the 14th overall pick in the 2006 draft.
Snider is still plenty young, but he really needs to seize this latest chance the Blue Jays are giving him. He’ll likely be pretty much an everyday outfielder with Jose Bautista back at third. If he fails again, he might turn into offseason trade bait for the club.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 47
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)