Jul 3, 2011, 3:49 PM EST
Cliff Lee, coming off three straight shutouts versus the Marlins, Cardinals and Red Sox, took the loss Sunday as the Blue Jays beat the Phillies 7-4.
Lee had his scoreless streak snapped at 34 innings when Rajai Davis tripled and then scored on a groundout in the third inning of the game. The Blue Jays went on to add single runs in the fifth and sixth innings to chip away at what had been an early 4-0 lead for the Phillies.
Suddenly, in the eighth inning, it was bombs away. Lee, who hadn’t allowed a homer in six stats since May 31, gave up three in a span of five batters. Eric Thames and Jose Bautista went back-to-back to start the frame, and Edwin Encarnacion added a two-run shot with one out.
The Blue Jays held on from there, sending Lee to his first loss since that aforementioned May 31 outing against the Nationals. He had been 5-0 since.
Lee ended up with nine strikeouts and no walks on the day, but all seven runs, six of which were earned, were charged to him. He gave up three homers in a start for the first time since allowing four in a loss to the Orioles last Aug. 21.
Bautista added to his major league lead with 27 homers. He went deep in all three games of the series against the Phillies.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)