Jul 3, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter went 1-for-2 with a walk and a run scored Saturday evening in his first minor league rehab game at Double-A Trenton.
He also played five innings of flawless defense at shortstop, reporting no abnormal pain or discomfort in his once-strained right calf.
Jeter is scheduled to play just one more rehab game with Trenton before rejoining the Yankees for their series-opener Monday night in Cleveland.
The veteran spoke about his recovery, his mindset, and his current fitness to Tim Bontemps of the New York Post:
“I feel good,” Jeter said after the game. “There are no problems whatsoever. It’s just getting at-bats and playing, but I feel good. We play this game every day for a reason. You have to get into a rhythm.”
Jeter’s fill-in, Eduardo Nunez, went 3-for-4 with a home run Saturday in the Yankees’ defeat of the crosstown Mets and is batting .339/.381/.525 since taking over starting shortstop duties on June 14. Nunez will head back to the bench on Monday, but he has earned himself more playing time going forward.
Jeter will return to a .260/.324/.324 batting line. He’s sitting on 2,994 career hits.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)