Jul 3, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter went 1-for-2 with a walk and a run scored Saturday evening in his first minor league rehab game at Double-A Trenton.
He also played five innings of flawless defense at shortstop, reporting no abnormal pain or discomfort in his once-strained right calf.
Jeter is scheduled to play just one more rehab game with Trenton before rejoining the Yankees for their series-opener Monday night in Cleveland.
The veteran spoke about his recovery, his mindset, and his current fitness to Tim Bontemps of the New York Post:
“I feel good,” Jeter said after the game. “There are no problems whatsoever. It’s just getting at-bats and playing, but I feel good. We play this game every day for a reason. You have to get into a rhythm.”
Jeter’s fill-in, Eduardo Nunez, went 3-for-4 with a home run Saturday in the Yankees’ defeat of the crosstown Mets and is batting .339/.381/.525 since taking over starting shortstop duties on June 14. Nunez will head back to the bench on Monday, but he has earned himself more playing time going forward.
Jeter will return to a .260/.324/.324 batting line. He’s sitting on 2,994 career hits.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)