Jul 3, 2011, 9:25 AM EST
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter went 1-for-2 with a walk and a run scored Saturday evening in his first minor league rehab game at Double-A Trenton.
He also played five innings of flawless defense at shortstop, reporting no abnormal pain or discomfort in his once-strained right calf.
Jeter is scheduled to play just one more rehab game with Trenton before rejoining the Yankees for their series-opener Monday night in Cleveland.
The veteran spoke about his recovery, his mindset, and his current fitness to Tim Bontemps of the New York Post:
“I feel good,” Jeter said after the game. “There are no problems whatsoever. It’s just getting at-bats and playing, but I feel good. We play this game every day for a reason. You have to get into a rhythm.”
Jeter’s fill-in, Eduardo Nunez, went 3-for-4 with a home run Saturday in the Yankees’ defeat of the crosstown Mets and is batting .339/.381/.525 since taking over starting shortstop duties on June 14. Nunez will head back to the bench on Monday, but he has earned himself more playing time going forward.
Jeter will return to a .260/.324/.324 batting line. He’s sitting on 2,994 career hits.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)