Jul 3, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter went 1-for-2 with a walk and a run scored Saturday evening in his first minor league rehab game at Double-A Trenton.
He also played five innings of flawless defense at shortstop, reporting no abnormal pain or discomfort in his once-strained right calf.
Jeter is scheduled to play just one more rehab game with Trenton before rejoining the Yankees for their series-opener Monday night in Cleveland.
The veteran spoke about his recovery, his mindset, and his current fitness to Tim Bontemps of the New York Post:
“I feel good,” Jeter said after the game. “There are no problems whatsoever. It’s just getting at-bats and playing, but I feel good. We play this game every day for a reason. You have to get into a rhythm.”
Jeter’s fill-in, Eduardo Nunez, went 3-for-4 with a home run Saturday in the Yankees’ defeat of the crosstown Mets and is batting .339/.381/.525 since taking over starting shortstop duties on June 14. Nunez will head back to the bench on Monday, but he has earned himself more playing time going forward.
Jeter will return to a .260/.324/.324 batting line. He’s sitting on 2,994 career hits.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)