Jul 3, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez showed up late to the clubhouse on interim manager Jack McKeon’s first day on the job. Thankfully, things have gone far better between coach and player since.
One of McKeon’s first acts as acting manager was giving Ramirez a consistent spot in the batting order. Under former skipper Edwin Rodriguez, Hanley would bat in a variety of spots — from leadoff, to second, to third, to fifth, and even sixth.
Ramirez is now the Marlins’ official cleanup man, and looking quite comfortable in the new role.
He finished 3-for-5 with a grand slam in Saturday’s defeat of the Rangers and has scored six runs in his past four starts. In 10 games since moving to the No. 4 spot in the lineup, according to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the 27-year-old shortstop is batting .385 with three home runs and 12 RBI.
Hanley is still sporting a weak .230/.319/.356 slash line in 271 total plate appearances, but he’s talented enough to right many of his early-season wrongs with a monstrous showing in the second half.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (206)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)