Jul 3, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez showed up late to the clubhouse on interim manager Jack McKeon’s first day on the job. Thankfully, things have gone far better between coach and player since.
One of McKeon’s first acts as acting manager was giving Ramirez a consistent spot in the batting order. Under former skipper Edwin Rodriguez, Hanley would bat in a variety of spots — from leadoff, to second, to third, to fifth, and even sixth.
Ramirez is now the Marlins’ official cleanup man, and looking quite comfortable in the new role.
He finished 3-for-5 with a grand slam in Saturday’s defeat of the Rangers and has scored six runs in his past four starts. In 10 games since moving to the No. 4 spot in the lineup, according to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the 27-year-old shortstop is batting .385 with three home runs and 12 RBI.
Hanley is still sporting a weak .230/.319/.356 slash line in 271 total plate appearances, but he’s talented enough to right many of his early-season wrongs with a monstrous showing in the second half.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)