Jul 3, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Carmona suffered the injury in the third inning of Saturday’s game against the cross-state Reds while legging out a bunt single. He was pulled immediately and the Tribe bullpen strung together seven innings of one-run ball to capture a 3-1 victory.
The Indians will hope that Carmona returns as a rejuvenated pitcher after the All-Star break. He’s posted a poor 5.78 ERA and 1.41 WHIP through 18 starts this season, striking out only 62 while walking 33 in 104 1/3 total innings. A replacement has not yet been named, but will likely come from the starting rotation at Triple-A Columbus.
Indians closer Chris Perez was activated from the bereavement list in a corresponding roster move.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)