Jul 3, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Carmona suffered the injury in the third inning of Saturday’s game against the cross-state Reds while legging out a bunt single. He was pulled immediately and the Tribe bullpen strung together seven innings of one-run ball to capture a 3-1 victory.
The Indians will hope that Carmona returns as a rejuvenated pitcher after the All-Star break. He’s posted a poor 5.78 ERA and 1.41 WHIP through 18 starts this season, striking out only 62 while walking 33 in 104 1/3 total innings. A replacement has not yet been named, but will likely come from the starting rotation at Triple-A Columbus.
Indians closer Chris Perez was activated from the bereavement list in a corresponding roster move.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 19
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)