Jul 3, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Carmona suffered the injury in the third inning of Saturday’s game against the cross-state Reds while legging out a bunt single. He was pulled immediately and the Tribe bullpen strung together seven innings of one-run ball to capture a 3-1 victory.
The Indians will hope that Carmona returns as a rejuvenated pitcher after the All-Star break. He’s posted a poor 5.78 ERA and 1.41 WHIP through 18 starts this season, striking out only 62 while walking 33 in 104 1/3 total innings. A replacement has not yet been named, but will likely come from the starting rotation at Triple-A Columbus.
Indians closer Chris Perez was activated from the bereavement list in a corresponding roster move.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 36
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)