Jul 3, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Carmona suffered the injury in the third inning of Saturday’s game against the cross-state Reds while legging out a bunt single. He was pulled immediately and the Tribe bullpen strung together seven innings of one-run ball to capture a 3-1 victory.
The Indians will hope that Carmona returns as a rejuvenated pitcher after the All-Star break. He’s posted a poor 5.78 ERA and 1.41 WHIP through 18 starts this season, striking out only 62 while walking 33 in 104 1/3 total innings. A replacement has not yet been named, but will likely come from the starting rotation at Triple-A Columbus.
Indians closer Chris Perez was activated from the bereavement list in a corresponding roster move.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)