Jul 3, 2011, 11:28 AM EST
Carmona suffered the injury in the third inning of Saturday’s game against the cross-state Reds while legging out a bunt single. He was pulled immediately and the Tribe bullpen strung together seven innings of one-run ball to capture a 3-1 victory.
The Indians will hope that Carmona returns as a rejuvenated pitcher after the All-Star break. He’s posted a poor 5.78 ERA and 1.41 WHIP through 18 starts this season, striking out only 62 while walking 33 in 104 1/3 total innings. A replacement has not yet been named, but will likely come from the starting rotation at Triple-A Columbus.
Indians closer Chris Perez was activated from the bereavement list in a corresponding roster move.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (155)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)