Jul 3, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
It was revealed Sunday that Ortiz had approached Jose Bautista and Mark Teixeira for two of the three openings on the squad. Bautista is in, but it’s unclear whether Teixeira will go: he wasn’t named to the AL All-Star roster, so he might prefer to take a few days off instead.
Hamilton, who will be a starter for the AL squad after holding off Jacoby Ellsbury in the fan vote, put on the greatest show in Derby history when he smacked 28 homers in the first round at Yankee Stadium in 2008. Believing the outburst messed up his swing, he made it clear he wasn’t interested in an encore performance in 2009 or 2010.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 2
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 50
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)