Jul 3, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
It was revealed Sunday that Ortiz had approached Jose Bautista and Mark Teixeira for two of the three openings on the squad. Bautista is in, but it’s unclear whether Teixeira will go: he wasn’t named to the AL All-Star roster, so he might prefer to take a few days off instead.
Hamilton, who will be a starter for the AL squad after holding off Jacoby Ellsbury in the fan vote, put on the greatest show in Derby history when he smacked 28 homers in the first round at Yankee Stadium in 2008. Believing the outburst messed up his swing, he made it clear he wasn’t interested in an encore performance in 2009 or 2010.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)