Jul 3, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Here’s a great opening line from Jim Armstrong in this morning’s Denver Post:
Mark Ellis is living out of a suitcase and, apparently, dressing in a phone booth.
The Rockies acquired
Superman Ellis from the A’s in a fairly minor trade on Thursday afternoon, but the 34-year-old’s performance thus far in Colorado has been anything but. He finished 3-for-5 with two RBI in Saturday night’s 9-6 defeat of the Royals and is now 6-for-10 with four doubles, four runs scored and five RBI in just two games since joining the Rox.
The hotness isn’t meant to last — Ellis, after all, is only a .266/.332/.400 career hitter — but the Rockies have been craving consistent production all season at second base and should continue to grant him starts until the shine wears off. The longtime Oakland infielder has always been a strong defender.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 1
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)