Jul 3, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Here’s a great opening line from Jim Armstrong in this morning’s Denver Post:
Mark Ellis is living out of a suitcase and, apparently, dressing in a phone booth.
The Rockies acquired
Superman Ellis from the A’s in a fairly minor trade on Thursday afternoon, but the 34-year-old’s performance thus far in Colorado has been anything but. He finished 3-for-5 with two RBI in Saturday night’s 9-6 defeat of the Royals and is now 6-for-10 with four doubles, four runs scored and five RBI in just two games since joining the Rox.
The hotness isn’t meant to last — Ellis, after all, is only a .266/.332/.400 career hitter — but the Rockies have been craving consistent production all season at second base and should continue to grant him starts until the shine wears off. The longtime Oakland infielder has always been a strong defender.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)