Jul 3, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Here’s a great opening line from Jim Armstrong in this morning’s Denver Post:
Mark Ellis is living out of a suitcase and, apparently, dressing in a phone booth.
The Rockies acquired
Superman Ellis from the A’s in a fairly minor trade on Thursday afternoon, but the 34-year-old’s performance thus far in Colorado has been anything but. He finished 3-for-5 with two RBI in Saturday night’s 9-6 defeat of the Royals and is now 6-for-10 with four doubles, four runs scored and five RBI in just two games since joining the Rox.
The hotness isn’t meant to last — Ellis, after all, is only a .266/.332/.400 career hitter — but the Rockies have been craving consistent production all season at second base and should continue to grant him starts until the shine wears off. The longtime Oakland infielder has always been a strong defender.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)