Jul 3, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT
CSNChicago’s Patrick Mooney reports that Ryan Dempster was hospitalized on Saturday and stayed overnight undergoing tests and taking IV fluids. Although he was released Sunday, he’s been scratched from his next scheduled start.
The Cubs will call up Casey Coleman to take his spot Monday against the Nationals.
Besides fighting a stomach virus, Dempster has also been troubled by soreness in his hip and back. He’ll lose one start prior to the All-Star break as a result of the maladies, but the plan is for him to return sometime this week, perhaps as soon as Wednesday.
The Nationals have to be pleased by the turn of events. Coleman has a 7.32 ERA in his eight starts in the majors this season. The Cubs were already planning on promoting Ramon Ortiz to start in place of the injured Carlos Zambrano on Tuesday. It will be the season debut for Ortiz, who had a 6.30 ERA in two starts and 14 relief appearances for the Dodgers last season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)