And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Jul 4, 2011, 5:30 AM EDT

Cleveland Indians v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

Holiday weekends weird me out. Sunday night doesn’t feel like Sunday night so doing the recaps of Sunday games doesn’t feel natural. That’s especially true when Monday is a big honkin’ hardly-anyone-goes-to-work-holiday like today.  Which means it’s a big honkin’ hardly-anyone-reads-the-blog day too.

But there are a few of you out there, I’m sure, who still have to wake up today and would like a forum in which you talk about yesterday’s games, so this is it.  It’s a somewhat abbreviated And That Happened, but it’s better than staring at the wall.  At least I think it is.

Reds 7, Indians 5: The Reds win this one, but Cleveland took five of six in the season series, which means that they now technically own Ohio. At least that’s how I think the terms of the all-Ohio series go. The Cleveland Indians team actually owns, in full, the state of Ohio and all of the real and personal property contained therein, and possess the right to exercise complete and total dominion over it.  At least that’s what Manny Acta told me when he rang my doorbell last night. He then proceeded to sit on the lounge chair in my living room, drink my wine, pet my cat and change all of the recordings on my DVR.  I don’t know that I had the legal right to stop him, so I let him do it.

Mariners 3, Padres 1: San Diego scored two runs in this series. And one of them shouldn’t have even scored thanks to Cameron Maybin‘s three-ball walk on Saturday.

Athletics 7, Diamondbacks 2: Scott Sizemore had a homer. That doesn’t happen very often.

Twins 9, Brewers 7: A four-run seventh inning to bring the Twinkies back from behind.

Royals 16, Rockies 8: Melky Cabrera hit two home runs and drove in five, Eric Hosmer hit one homer and drove in four.  If this was the LSAT, you’d then have to answer what the next two players who hit no homers drove in, and then six months from now you’d have a set of scores keeping you from your first choice of law schools, and you’d always wonder what in the hell these little patterny word problems had to do with your legal career.

Rays 8, Cardinals 3: Johnny Damon had three hits and drove in four. Dude is gonna get 3000 hits, isn’t he. And when he does, we’re gonna have a real fun Hall of Fame conversation. My guess is that he won’t make it — and won’t really deserve it — but he’ll be kept out for the wrong reason. Specifically, because he never really had a strong identity with one team. If the bulk of his prime is played on either the Yankees or the Red Sox instead of being split up in a few places, there’s probably a group of people lobbying for him who won’t lobby for him now.  And all the while no one will really grok the fact that, really, he just doesn’t have the credentials.

Mets 3, Yankees 2: The Mets get to Mariano Rivera in the ninth and then Jason Bay comes through with a clutch hit in the 10th. You tell me which of those two things is more improbable.

Blue Jays 7, Phillies 4: Huh. Cliff Lee is mortal. I guess it technically ain’t June anymore, so I’ll chalk it up to that.

Cubs 3, White Sox 1: Rodrigo Lopez had seven shutout innings. Of course, the way things have been going for the Cubs, that doesn’t necessarily mean that they were going to win it.  Aramis Ramirez‘s two-run homer took care of the run support, however.

Tigers 6, Giants 3:  The Tigers salvage one against the Giants and then afterwards they fired pitching coach Rick Knapp. This strikes me as a weak move. The Tigers’ defense — which is poor — has an awful lot to do with what’s been going on with the pitching staff. Both Jim Leyland and Dave Dombrowski are in the last years of their contracts, however, so everyone has to look like they’re trying to do something, right?

Red Sox 2, Astros 1: The Sox scored the go-ahead run in the ninth on a bases loaded walk. Josh Beckett struck out 11 in eight innings.

Orioles 5, Braves 4: Five hits for Nick Markakis and homers from Mark Reynolds and Zach Britton — Zach Britton? — yes, Zach Britton. Who needs the DH?

Pirates 10, Nationals 2Kevin Correia won his 11th game and Andrew McCutchen had three hits.  In the series, McCutchen had nine hits, six of which went for extra bases.

Angels 3, Dodgers 1: Ervin Santana out-pitches Chad Billingsley. A two-run homer for Russell Branyan who, I gotta be honest, I hadn’t realized signed with the Angels. I wish there was some blog out there I could read that would keep me up-to-date on this kind of crap.

Marlins 6, Rangers 4: Three of the Feesh’s runs come in on errors. So there’s that.

1. cptnew1 - Jul 4, 2011 at 7:22 AM

I’m not sure when it happened, (I didn’t get a memo) but the Pirates have become a fun team to watch.

2. uyf1950 - Jul 4, 2011 at 7:33 AM

I’ll try this again. I don’t know what happened but the 1st post didn’t show up.

The Yankees blew a game they could have and should have won. This loss falls squarely on Pena for his sloppy, sloppy defense and Rivera. Just calling it like I see it. In any case the Yankees finish interleague play at 13-5 taking all 6 series. At exactly the half way point in the season for the Yankees they are 50-32 and have along with the Phillies the fewest loses in the Major Leagues.
    On this the 4th of July I want to wish everyone a Happy and Safe day. Enjoy.

3. kiwicricket - Jul 4, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Next thing you know, Manny(and his hat) are salsa dancing with your wife Craig. Your compound needs tighter security.

4. proudlycanadian - Jul 4, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Happy holiday down south (Red Sox fans excepted). We had our day off on friday.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM

So far, Red Sox fans are very unhappy today. The Jays sent Lackey to the showers in the third inning down 7 to 0. Travis Snider formally sent Lackey to the showers after his second double of the game plated 2 runs.

5. yankeesfanlen - Jul 4, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Garcia had another good game. No offense at all, 1-8 RISP, 11 LOB. We wouldn’t have anywhere near the turmiol if we had the usual 5 runs, hard to when home runs have to interfere with planes coming into La Guardia. But at least interleague is over and competition can resume.
    It’s July Super Save and Swap Daze in MLB now. What bargains will Brian find?

• cur68 - Jul 4, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Juan Rivera. He’s a bargain. And boy, can he play left…

• kiwicricket - Jul 4, 2011 at 9:15 AM

CC that one to the Angels

6. cur68 - Jul 4, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Thanks for ATH today, Craig. There’s plenty of us up North who can’t enjoy our Monday coffee without it. Speaking of enjoy, sure liked the 8th inning there yesterday. The Hired Guns Of Beaver Land did me proud against a pitcher so tough he can eat his steak so low on the steer he has to spit out the hooves.

If you enjoy the big sexy homerun, then you’d have enjoyed that game. Still having trouble organizing my blood flow because of it. Salut!

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 4, 2011 at 9:20 AM

If only there were people in the baseball blogging business with any sort of lawyering in their backgrounds. But alas, no. Happy Acta Day Ohio!

8. sdelmonte - Jul 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM

The Mets finish interleague play at .500. They are currently .500 against all three divisions, one game over .500 against lefties and one game under .500 against righties. They are pretty much the definition of a .500 club.

Which is what I said back in April.

9. randomdigits - Jul 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Wasn’t just a homer for Britton, his slash line this season is 625/625/1125 for an OPS of 1750.

Shame the O’s are paying Vlad 8 million for a fraction of the production.

• cktai - Jul 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM

They could always choose to DH Pie instead of Britton when he next takes the mount in the AL

• randomdigits - Jul 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM

No they can’t, the DH must be used for a pitcher. Even if they were they would have Luke or Reimold in left and have the DH hit for the second baseman.

10. APBA Guy - Jul 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Craig-rare as it is for Sizemore to hit a homerun, it is even more rare for the A’s to hit 2 homers in the same game. Note that Sizemore has the same number of HR’s this year as Conor Jackson who also went deep. But that wasn’t the big news yesterday in Oakland. It wasn’t the heat (which helped the ball carry), it wasn’t the excellent Gio in his resplendent gold jersey, it was Gio making the All-Star team, Gio with his 2.39 ERA and his near 9 k/9 rate. Gio will be communing with the likes of Capt. Jetes, Jose Bautista, et al. How will this change him? Will his head swell? Will he demand a trade to play in a stadium with no rats the size of Volkswagens? Burning questions, all.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Have the A’s made their win song “Do You Know The Way To San Jose?” yet?

• APBA Guy - Jul 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM

These days it’s “Viva, Las Vegas”

11. spudchukar - Jul 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM

…And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

12. Old Gator - Jul 4, 2011 at 2:19 PM

The Feesh win their second series in a row. They’ve got an eight game climb back to the strange attractor, which is beginning to sparkle in the firmament and seems to be beckoning them on like some mythic goddess with a crook’d index finger. But you and I know it’s just an intersection of the X-Y axes, like the Southern Cross.

Lost in the fine spray from Ron Washington in Angel Hernandez’ face was the fact that Javier Vazquez pitched yet another pretty good game. The old boy is actually stepping up and helping fill the void left by Josh Johnson. Hanley’s resurgence has been noted already. Tweeter seems to be getting back to his old self.

Wonder how Coghlan is doing down on the farm. Pass me the barbecue sauce and the brush, please.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3174)