Jul 4, 2011, 8:35 PM EDT
The Red Sox aren’t any closer to getting Clay Buchholz back from the disabled list. In fact, according to Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com, the 26-year-old right-hander is scheduled to receive a second opinion from Dr. Craig Brigham in North Carolina this week because his lower back strain isn’t progressing as quickly as originally hoped.
Buchholz hasn’t pitched since leaving a start against the Rays on June 16 and acknowledged today that he didn’t expect to be sidelined for this long.
“Absolutely not,” he said. “It was slowly getting better and then it just sort of stayed the same for a while. I just want to get back on the field as quick as I can. If something’s not working, I want to get somebody else to look at it and try to go a different direction with it and hopefully it won’t take that much longer. That’s what I’m hoping for.”
Buchholz is 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA and 60/31 K/BB ratio across 14 starts this season. Andrew Miller has stepped up admirably during his absence, posting a 3.06 ERA and a 13/7 K/BB ratio over his first three starts since being called up from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)