Jul 4, 2011, 8:35 PM EDT
The Red Sox aren’t any closer to getting Clay Buchholz back from the disabled list. In fact, according to Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com, the 26-year-old right-hander is scheduled to receive a second opinion from Dr. Craig Brigham in North Carolina this week because his lower back strain isn’t progressing as quickly as originally hoped.
Buchholz hasn’t pitched since leaving a start against the Rays on June 16 and acknowledged today that he didn’t expect to be sidelined for this long.
“Absolutely not,” he said. “It was slowly getting better and then it just sort of stayed the same for a while. I just want to get back on the field as quick as I can. If something’s not working, I want to get somebody else to look at it and try to go a different direction with it and hopefully it won’t take that much longer. That’s what I’m hoping for.”
Buchholz is 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA and 60/31 K/BB ratio across 14 starts this season. Andrew Miller has stepped up admirably during his absence, posting a 3.06 ERA and a 13/7 K/BB ratio over his first three starts since being called up from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 4
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?