Jul 4, 2011, 8:35 PM EST
The Red Sox aren’t any closer to getting Clay Buchholz back from the disabled list. In fact, according to Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com, the 26-year-old right-hander is scheduled to receive a second opinion from Dr. Craig Brigham in North Carolina this week because his lower back strain isn’t progressing as quickly as originally hoped.
Buchholz hasn’t pitched since leaving a start against the Rays on June 16 and acknowledged today that he didn’t expect to be sidelined for this long.
“Absolutely not,” he said. “It was slowly getting better and then it just sort of stayed the same for a while. I just want to get back on the field as quick as I can. If something’s not working, I want to get somebody else to look at it and try to go a different direction with it and hopefully it won’t take that much longer. That’s what I’m hoping for.”
Buchholz is 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA and 60/31 K/BB ratio across 14 starts this season. Andrew Miller has stepped up admirably during his absence, posting a 3.06 ERA and a 13/7 K/BB ratio over his first three starts since being called up from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)