Jul 4, 2011, 8:35 PM EDT
The Red Sox aren’t any closer to getting Clay Buchholz back from the disabled list. In fact, according to Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com, the 26-year-old right-hander is scheduled to receive a second opinion from Dr. Craig Brigham in North Carolina this week because his lower back strain isn’t progressing as quickly as originally hoped.
Buchholz hasn’t pitched since leaving a start against the Rays on June 16 and acknowledged today that he didn’t expect to be sidelined for this long.
“Absolutely not,” he said. “It was slowly getting better and then it just sort of stayed the same for a while. I just want to get back on the field as quick as I can. If something’s not working, I want to get somebody else to look at it and try to go a different direction with it and hopefully it won’t take that much longer. That’s what I’m hoping for.”
Buchholz is 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA and 60/31 K/BB ratio across 14 starts this season. Andrew Miller has stepped up admirably during his absence, posting a 3.06 ERA and a 13/7 K/BB ratio over his first three starts since being called up from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)