Jul 4, 2011, 6:45 PM EST
Dee Gordon was given a brief reprieve yesterday when Casey Blake was placed on the disabled list with an arthritic condition in his neck, but Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Dodgers sent the speedy shortstop back to Triple-A Albuquerque today.
Rafael Furcal started at shortstop in his return from an oblique injury yesterday and figures to play there on a regular basis as long as he can stay healthy, so Gordon is much better off playing everyday in the minor leagues. The Dodgers briefly discussed moving Furcal to second base, but those plans have been put on the backburner for now.
Furcal has been limited to just 18 games with the Dodgers this season, batting .214/.247/.271 over 73 plate appearances. He’s still owed roughly half of his $12 million salary for this season, but the Dodgers will surely attempt to shop him in the coming days and weeks. The 33-year-old has a limited no-trade clause in his contract.
Gordon, 23, batted .232/.250/.280 with two doubles, a triple and four RBI over his first 85 major league plate appearances. He went 8-for-11 in stolen base attempts.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)