Jul 4, 2011, 6:45 PM EDT
Dee Gordon was given a brief reprieve yesterday when Casey Blake was placed on the disabled list with an arthritic condition in his neck, but Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Dodgers sent the speedy shortstop back to Triple-A Albuquerque today.
Rafael Furcal started at shortstop in his return from an oblique injury yesterday and figures to play there on a regular basis as long as he can stay healthy, so Gordon is much better off playing everyday in the minor leagues. The Dodgers briefly discussed moving Furcal to second base, but those plans have been put on the backburner for now.
Furcal has been limited to just 18 games with the Dodgers this season, batting .214/.247/.271 over 73 plate appearances. He’s still owed roughly half of his $12 million salary for this season, but the Dodgers will surely attempt to shop him in the coming days and weeks. The 33-year-old has a limited no-trade clause in his contract.
Gordon, 23, batted .232/.250/.280 with two doubles, a triple and four RBI over his first 85 major league plate appearances. He went 8-for-11 in stolen base attempts.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)