Jul 4, 2011, 6:45 PM EDT
Dee Gordon was given a brief reprieve yesterday when Casey Blake was placed on the disabled list with an arthritic condition in his neck, but Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Dodgers sent the speedy shortstop back to Triple-A Albuquerque today.
Rafael Furcal started at shortstop in his return from an oblique injury yesterday and figures to play there on a regular basis as long as he can stay healthy, so Gordon is much better off playing everyday in the minor leagues. The Dodgers briefly discussed moving Furcal to second base, but those plans have been put on the backburner for now.
Furcal has been limited to just 18 games with the Dodgers this season, batting .214/.247/.271 over 73 plate appearances. He’s still owed roughly half of his $12 million salary for this season, but the Dodgers will surely attempt to shop him in the coming days and weeks. The 33-year-old has a limited no-trade clause in his contract.
Gordon, 23, batted .232/.250/.280 with two doubles, a triple and four RBI over his first 85 major league plate appearances. He went 8-for-11 in stolen base attempts.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1