Jul 4, 2011, 7:16 PM EDT
Humberto Quintero, who is on a rehab stint with Triple-A Oklahoma City as he makes his way back from a sprained ankle, was forced to change hotels Sunday after an incident in Memphis in which a police officer and other person was killed.
Quintero was the only member of the RedHawks still staying at the hotel. The rest of the team checked out prior to the series finale against the Cardinals’ Triple-A affiliate Sunday, but Quintero remained behind and intended to stay another night in Memphis.
“After the game, I came back to the hotel and went across the street — and they said two people died and three were shot, and they didn’t let me in my room,” Quintero told MLB.com. “I found another room a couple of minutes from there, and when I went this morning [to the Doubletree] to pick up my luggage, my room was open and someone had gone through my luggage and my computer. They didn’t take anything.”
Quintero said he assumed it was police investigators who went theough his luggage. He left Memphis on Monday, and he could come off the disabled list and rejoin the Astros this week.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)