Jul 4, 2011, 2:39 PM EDT
Last week John Lackey denied speculation that he may need Tommy John elbow surgery and then tossed 7.2 innings of two-run ball against the Phillies, but the Red Sox right-hander was back to his old tricks this afternoon.
Lackey failed to make it out of the third inning versus the Blue Jays, coughing up seven runs while recording just seven outs, and was booed off the mound at Fenway Park.
Lackey allowed nine hits in 2.1 innings, including a homer to Aaron Hill, and his ERA now stands at a hideous 7.34.
Boston can demote him to the bullpen or place him back on the disabled list, but with Lackey owed $15.25 million this season with the same salary due in 2012, 2013, and 2014 he’s going to be their problem for a while.
So far the Red Sox have paid him about $23 million for 287 innings of 5.14 ERA pitching.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)