Jul 4, 2011, 2:39 PM EDT
Last week John Lackey denied speculation that he may need Tommy John elbow surgery and then tossed 7.2 innings of two-run ball against the Phillies, but the Red Sox right-hander was back to his old tricks this afternoon.
Lackey failed to make it out of the third inning versus the Blue Jays, coughing up seven runs while recording just seven outs, and was booed off the mound at Fenway Park.
Lackey allowed nine hits in 2.1 innings, including a homer to Aaron Hill, and his ERA now stands at a hideous 7.34.
Boston can demote him to the bullpen or place him back on the disabled list, but with Lackey owed $15.25 million this season with the same salary due in 2012, 2013, and 2014 he’s going to be their problem for a while.
So far the Red Sox have paid him about $23 million for 287 innings of 5.14 ERA pitching.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 23
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)