Jul 4, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Normally when you hear about ALS, Yankee Stadium and the Fourth of July, you think of Lou Gehrig’s “luckiest man on the face of the Earth” speech. And you should remember it because it’s one of baseball’s defining moments.
But former commissioner Fay Vincent has a piece over at Fox News.com today with a different ALS/Yankee Stadium story, this one involving a childhood friend of his. And, most notably, the considerable help of one George Steinbrenner to help give a dying man his last wish.
Excuse me. It’s gettin’ a bit dusty in here. Gotta go open a window or something.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 2
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)