Jul 4, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Normally when you hear about ALS, Yankee Stadium and the Fourth of July, you think of Lou Gehrig’s “luckiest man on the face of the Earth” speech. And you should remember it because it’s one of baseball’s defining moments.
But former commissioner Fay Vincent has a piece over at Fox News.com today with a different ALS/Yankee Stadium story, this one involving a childhood friend of his. And, most notably, the considerable help of one George Steinbrenner to help give a dying man his last wish.
Excuse me. It’s gettin’ a bit dusty in here. Gotta go open a window or something.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 284
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (285)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)