Jul 4, 2011, 5:51 PM EDT
The way it works in All-Star Games these days is that the starting pitcher throws two innings, while everyone else throws one at the max. For that reason, Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee doesn’t want to see Roy Halladay start for the NL squad.
As Dubee told the Philadelphia Inquirer:
You’re looking at a guy that’s leading the league in innings pitched by a pretty good size. I don’t know that you can deny [the starting job]. It would be an honor. But at the same time, this guy is taking on a big workload again, like he always does. We’ll wait and see what happens.
Halladay didn’t sound particularly excited about starting either:
Obviously you go there to pitch and that’s the main idea, but there are definitely other guys that are worthy of it. Whether they ask me or not I don’t know. The only thing I always try to keep in mind is how is this going to affect me going forward? Obviously starting you have to pitch longer than if you come in later. Not that it’s always in your control, but it’s just things you consider and you talk over with the staff here.
Anyway, it sounds like the Phillies as a whole would be just fine with Jair Jurrjens or even one of the Giants pitchers getting the start.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)