Jul 4, 2011, 5:51 PM EDT
The way it works in All-Star Games these days is that the starting pitcher throws two innings, while everyone else throws one at the max. For that reason, Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee doesn’t want to see Roy Halladay start for the NL squad.
As Dubee told the Philadelphia Inquirer:
You’re looking at a guy that’s leading the league in innings pitched by a pretty good size. I don’t know that you can deny [the starting job]. It would be an honor. But at the same time, this guy is taking on a big workload again, like he always does. We’ll wait and see what happens.
Halladay didn’t sound particularly excited about starting either:
Obviously you go there to pitch and that’s the main idea, but there are definitely other guys that are worthy of it. Whether they ask me or not I don’t know. The only thing I always try to keep in mind is how is this going to affect me going forward? Obviously starting you have to pitch longer than if you come in later. Not that it’s always in your control, but it’s just things you consider and you talk over with the staff here.
Anyway, it sounds like the Phillies as a whole would be just fine with Jair Jurrjens or even one of the Giants pitchers getting the start.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 15
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 42
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 32
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)