Jul 4, 2011, 5:51 PM EDT
The way it works in All-Star Games these days is that the starting pitcher throws two innings, while everyone else throws one at the max. For that reason, Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee doesn’t want to see Roy Halladay start for the NL squad.
As Dubee told the Philadelphia Inquirer:
You’re looking at a guy that’s leading the league in innings pitched by a pretty good size. I don’t know that you can deny [the starting job]. It would be an honor. But at the same time, this guy is taking on a big workload again, like he always does. We’ll wait and see what happens.
Halladay didn’t sound particularly excited about starting either:
Obviously you go there to pitch and that’s the main idea, but there are definitely other guys that are worthy of it. Whether they ask me or not I don’t know. The only thing I always try to keep in mind is how is this going to affect me going forward? Obviously starting you have to pitch longer than if you come in later. Not that it’s always in your control, but it’s just things you consider and you talk over with the staff here.
Anyway, it sounds like the Phillies as a whole would be just fine with Jair Jurrjens or even one of the Giants pitchers getting the start.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 25
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 17
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)