Jul 4, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
For so many years, one gets the sense that Derek Jeter fans saw him much like this, single-handedly smashing tyranny and representing all that was Right and True about baseball and America.
Well, the years have taken their toll and Jeter has started to be seen in a different, more realistic light. More of a Silver Age hero than a than Golden Age hero. It’s probably for the best. The Silver Age heroes were always way more interesting for all of their fallibilities.
But he’s still a hero nonetheless, saving the Trenton Thunder from the forces of evil!
Jeter comes back to the Yankees today. No word if Bucky is with him.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)