Jul 4, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
For so many years, one gets the sense that Derek Jeter fans saw him much like this, single-handedly smashing tyranny and representing all that was Right and True about baseball and America.
Well, the years have taken their toll and Jeter has started to be seen in a different, more realistic light. More of a Silver Age hero than a than Golden Age hero. It’s probably for the best. The Silver Age heroes were always way more interesting for all of their fallibilities.
But he’s still a hero nonetheless, saving the Trenton Thunder from the forces of evil!
Jeter comes back to the Yankees today. No word if Bucky is with him.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 82
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)