Jul 4, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez, who threw two scoreless innings to pick up the win in relief when the Mets beat the Yankees in 10 innings Sunday, is being pitched to the Bombers, reports Bob Klapisch of the Bergen Record.
Klapisch tweets that the Yankees are only “marginally interested” in Rodriguez and that they’d prefer to wait until Rafael Soriano returns and then see if they still need bullpen help.
Rodriguez said last month that he’d be open to going to a good team “like the Yankees or Rays” and pitching as a setup man, even though that would mean his $17.5 million option for 2012, which vests based on games finished, would fail to kick in.
Rodriguez’s no-trade clause allows him to block trades to 10 teams. It’s unclear whether the Yankees are on the list, but there’s a good chance they are, if only because they were always among the teams likeliest to want to trade for him.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)