Jul 4, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT
Shaun Marcum became the first pitcher in over a year to hit a grand slam, but the Diamondbacks overcame a 6-1 deficit by scoring in each of the final six innings of the game to beat the Brewers 8-6 on Monday.
Marcum, in his first year in the National League, was 4-for-40 lifetime before taking Daniel Hudson deep for his first career homer.
He was the first pitcher to hit a grand slam since Brad Penny hit one for the Cardinals on May 21, 2010. It also happened once in 2009 (Chris Carpenter) and twice in 2008 (Felix Hernandez and Jason Marquis).
Marcum gave up three runs in the two innings after the grand slam and four runs in six innings overall. He left with a 6-4 lead, but that was blown by the middle-relief corps. The Diamondbacks also got to closer John Axford, who entered a tie game and gave up his first two earned runs since May 21. Marcum has just one win in his last eight starts.
The Diamondbacks got homers from Miguel Montero and Wily Mo Pena in the game. Pena’s was his second in four at-bats as a pinch-hitter and fifth in 39 overall. Montero and Sean Burroughs each had three hits apiece.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)