Jul 4, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT
Shaun Marcum became the first pitcher in over a year to hit a grand slam, but the Diamondbacks overcame a 6-1 deficit by scoring in each of the final six innings of the game to beat the Brewers 8-6 on Monday.
Marcum, in his first year in the National League, was 4-for-40 lifetime before taking Daniel Hudson deep for his first career homer.
He was the first pitcher to hit a grand slam since Brad Penny hit one for the Cardinals on May 21, 2010. It also happened once in 2009 (Chris Carpenter) and twice in 2008 (Felix Hernandez and Jason Marquis).
Marcum gave up three runs in the two innings after the grand slam and four runs in six innings overall. He left with a 6-4 lead, but that was blown by the middle-relief corps. The Diamondbacks also got to closer John Axford, who entered a tie game and gave up his first two earned runs since May 21. Marcum has just one win in his last eight starts.
The Diamondbacks got homers from Miguel Montero and Wily Mo Pena in the game. Pena’s was his second in four at-bats as a pinch-hitter and fifth in 39 overall. Montero and Sean Burroughs each had three hits apiece.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 8
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 4
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)