Jul 4, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT
Shaun Marcum became the first pitcher in over a year to hit a grand slam, but the Diamondbacks overcame a 6-1 deficit by scoring in each of the final six innings of the game to beat the Brewers 8-6 on Monday.
Marcum, in his first year in the National League, was 4-for-40 lifetime before taking Daniel Hudson deep for his first career homer.
He was the first pitcher to hit a grand slam since Brad Penny hit one for the Cardinals on May 21, 2010. It also happened once in 2009 (Chris Carpenter) and twice in 2008 (Felix Hernandez and Jason Marquis).
Marcum gave up three runs in the two innings after the grand slam and four runs in six innings overall. He left with a 6-4 lead, but that was blown by the middle-relief corps. The Diamondbacks also got to closer John Axford, who entered a tie game and gave up his first two earned runs since May 21. Marcum has just one win in his last eight starts.
The Diamondbacks got homers from Miguel Montero and Wily Mo Pena in the game. Pena’s was his second in four at-bats as a pinch-hitter and fifth in 39 overall. Montero and Sean Burroughs each had three hits apiece.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)