Who has bigger forearms? Jose Canseco or Steve Garvey?

Jul 4, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT

Gun Show

Probably the most pathetic headline I’ve ever written at HBT, but I don’t care. I really want to know the answer to this.

Last night, following the Dodgers-Angels game, there was a charity old timers home run derby thing, the purpose of which was to raise money for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis research.  Good cause!

I could only find a few photos of the event, but I am struck by the two below. One of which is Steve Garvey, the other Jose Canseco.  Garvey the player was known for his massive forearms.  Canseco the player was known for being a muscle head himself, of course. The former always gave the impression that he did it all on milk and cookies and the latter did it on pharmaceuticals, but they were both interesting, freakish specimens in their day.

Garvey is 62 and has 16 years on Canseco, but I gotta say, he may have the bigger guns these days.  Even if Garvey’s hit was obviously a dribbler to the mound and Canseco looks like he drove it with some degree of authority.

source: AP

source: AP

And yeah, you gotta love that Canseco played for seven teams in the bigs, none of which were the Dodgers, yet he wore the Dodgers gear.

1. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Headline should’ve been-

“Who’s the bigger D-Bag Canseco or Garvey?”

• sasquash20 - Jul 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Be fair, Jose may have saved the integrity of the game with his book(greed). I don’t him but baseball seems a lot cleaner these days.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Touche, but he was also one of the main reasons baseball got into that mess in the first place.

2. pisano - Jul 4, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Who cares? one is a roid head and the other is a whore monger.(not that there’s anything wrong with it) I’m just sayin.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I didn’t know much of anything about Garvey, so I just read an old SI article on him and it made me laugh…typical X-tian hypocrite.

He fits right in alongside Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker for late-80s fall-from-grace scandals.

3. danberman4 - Jul 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Really wanting to know the answer to this question is MUCH more pathetic than the headline. As veteran headline writer I have a piece of advice: If the only headline you can come up with is pathetic, it says something about the story.

4. mlballhawk - Jul 4, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Here is a better story about the fact that this was the first time in almost 11 years that Jose Canseco had been on a Major League Baseball Field!

5. genericcommenter - Jul 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Unless Garvey’s entire body is the size of Andre the Giant, his picture is zoomed in a lot more and his entire body is more close-up. So it’s kinda hard to compare the relative size of body parts.

The spectator in the Angels uniform has a head around 60% larger in the Garvey pic. Canseco’s arms at around 70% of the size of Garvey’s pic are almost as big. So I think it’s safe to say Canseco has the edge. Zoom the bottom pic so the spectators are they same size and Garvey’s head isn’t twice as big as Cansecos.

6. madaozeki - Jul 4, 2011 at 5:27 PM

“guns” are biceps, not forearms.

• cur68 - Jul 5, 2011 at 1:47 AM

It is a sad commentary on things that I must confess to seeing a random ‘t’ in one of the words you wrote. With that, leave us never mention this again.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3461)