And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Jul 5, 2011, 5:38 AM EST

Jayson Werth

Nats 5, Cubs 4: Jayson Werth was getting booed like crazy — especially when he struck out with two outs and the bases loaded in the seventh — but then he unexpectedly steals third base in the 10th inning and subsequently scores on a wild pitch, winning the ballgame, and the cheers rained down. His postgame quote is the sort of thing that’s gonna come back on him, I think, be it for good or for ill: “Cheer me, boo me, whatever. I’m still going to go out there and play my game.”

Diamondbacks 8, Brewers 6: Oh, Milwaukee’s bullpen, you are giving Wisconsin a sad. I mean, no Shaun Marcum was no great shakes — at least on the mound; he hit a grand slam — but no one called after him could do anything to stop the bleeding. Seventeen hits for the snakes.

Pirates 5, Astros 3: I think the most impressive part of all of this is not that the Pirates are winning, but that the fans are certainly responding. Four home sellouts in a row, and this one against the worst team in baseball.  Pirates fans have waited a long time for a good product. But I bet they remember how to support it when it arrives.

Mariners 2, Athletics 1:  Brandon McCarthy returned from the DL, but there wasn’t much doin’ for A’s hitters against Michael Pineda and the M’s pen, which allowed only three hits.

Twins 7, Rays 0: A six-hit shutout for Brian Duensing. A three-run homer for Danny Valencia. A shattered bat went back and hit the home plate umpire too, but he was alright. One of these days someone won’t be alright.

Blue Jays 9, Red Sox 7: John Lackey continues to look utterly lost out there, allowing seven runs in two and a third. Travis Snider hit three doubles and drove in a couple. He must have communed with some sort of mysterious sensei when he was down on his minor league stint.

Padres 5, Giants 2: The Padres got to Lincecum early and, with the exception of a Pablo Sandoval two-run homer, the Giants’ bats had no magic in ‘em.

Braves 4, Rockies 1: The last time Atlanta faced Ubaldo Jimenez he no-hit them. This time? Not so much. Can I tell you that this Freddie Freeman kid is starting to grow on me? Two homers for the 21-year-old, who is now hitting .272/.347/.448 on the year.

White Sox 5, Royals 4: Aaron Crow — correction, the All-Star Aaron Crow — commits the walkoff balk. I think that’s the second one this year after the Mets lost one that way to the Braves.

Cardinals 1, Reds 0: Chris Carpenter vs. Johnny Cueto in St. Louis and no one lost their heads. It was a shame that either of them had to lose, though, as both pitchers were fantastic. An RBI infield single for St. Louis was the only run in the game as Carpenter continues to make up for a poor early season. Cueto is only 5-3, but he has a 1.77 ERA on the year.

Indians 6, Yankees 3: It took hitters from both teams a long time to settle in — it was 0-0 when the seventh began with the Yankees being no-hit — but big homers from Austin Kearns and Carlos Santana changed all of that. Derek Jeter went 0 for 4 in his return.

Phillies 1, Marlins 0: I said something in the Power Rankings yesterday about how the Phillies would be doing if they really had four aces. Well heck, Vance Worley has been a reasonable facsimile of one in his last couple of outings. Seven two-hit shutout innings for him in this one.

Angels 5, Tigers 1: The Angels keep rolling, taking their ninth win in 11 games. Homers from Vernon Wells and Torii Hunter.

Mets 5, Dodgers 2: Rubby De La Rosa had a no-hitter going through five, but Angel PaganCarlos Beltran and Daniel Murphy each had RBI doubles in the sixth inning.

UPDATE:  Wow, forgot a game! first time I did that this year. Which has to be a record for me, because in past years I did this at least once every couple of weeks. Anyway:

Rangers 13, Orioles 4: Two homers for Mark Reynolds, but that was the only bright spot for the O’s as they’re throttled by Texas. Endy Chavez drove in four, including a two-run homer and a two-run double. Which is rather surprising considering I bet that, among people who have heard of Endy Chavez, 85% of them assumed he was out of baseball.

1. kiwicricket - Jul 5, 2011 at 6:07 AM

“Cheer me, boo me, whatever. I’m still going to go out there and play my game.”

The NBA/NFL is that-a-way Jason

• kiwicricket - Jul 5, 2011 at 6:25 AM

BTW The ‘Jeter-Meter’ stands at 2996. Anyone taking bets on how he gets No. 3000? Hes clutch, it’s a *RBI single* in the 8th to tie it up.

*Rolls through legs of 2B-called a single- attracts even more attention- world implodes.

• paperlions - Jul 5, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Does the “Jeter-Meter” track # of hits + 2?

• kiwicricket - Jul 5, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Sorry 2994? (I refuse to look it up)

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 5, 2011 at 8:52 AM

“Jeter-Meter”? I prefer to call it the Beep-Beep-Bo-Beep

• kopy - Jul 5, 2011 at 9:13 AM

The only thing that would have been better is if Werth had said “haters gonna hate”.

• missthemexpos - Jul 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Is it just me, or is Jayson Werth looking more and more like one of those guys from the Geico commercials?

• spudchukar - Jul 5, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Beat me to it. Kudos.

• cmutimmah - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM

He needs to go back to short hair and that landing strip facial hair.. he was at least hitting .250+ back then…

2. Reggie's Bush - Jul 5, 2011 at 6:32 AM

@kiwi – idc how it happens, I just hope it happens ASAP so this could all go away.

3. angrycorgi - Jul 5, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Apparently the Rangers 15-4 win over the O’s was an exhibition game…

• angrycorgi - Jul 5, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Oops…typo, make that a 13-4 exhibition win…

4. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 5, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Worley has been great all season, except that start against the Mets when he hadn’t started in 3 weeks. They did the right thing in sending him down to AAA after last nights game so that he can stay on schedule.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 5, 2011 at 8:19 AM

His era would be sub 2.00 if it weren’t for that one bad outing against the Mets. The guy looks real good. “VAN-I-MAL!” I guess it’s fitting for a guy with a fauxhawk throwing 2 hit games. Not to mention he’s given up 2 earned runs in his last 4 games, one of which were against the BoSox.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 5, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Good doctor,

I just picked him up in my fantasy league. Bastardo’s been helping me bit the past few weeks. Phil’s pitching is the way to it seems. Gotta love it when it’s one of your own farm guys making the grade. For the record, no, I’m not bicepts. I will henceforth stop referring to him.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 5, 2011 at 10:23 AM

5. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 5, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Worley has been dynamite, and the rookie combination of Worley, Stutes, Bastardo has been nothing short of amazing. Of course, the bad news is the offense went back into the toilet for 13 innings(after ripping Reyes for 4 runs in the second on Sunday, what were the odds they would lose with Lee pitching…150-1?). Then a bang-bang play at the plate where Brown could have easily been called out last night and that’s it? Me hates when Ryan Howard watches change-up after change-up hit the outside corner, then whine when he gets called out. Hey big man…those were strikes!!! Swing da bat!!!

I don’t get the whole “send Worley down” thing. Any other time this year, when it was Heavy B pitching, it was “keep the rotation as it is…even with an off day.” Now they are going to skip Worley against the Braves? On the one hand, sure I’d rather see Doc, Lee, and Carlton go against the Braves. On the other hand, why the inconsistency? Especially when the Phillies will miss Hudson and Jurrgens? Give the kid a chance to shine on Saturday and then let Cole throw an inning in the AS game. As it stands now, he probably won’t pitch in it since he will pitch Sunday.

• bleedgreen - Jul 5, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I understand it… but I don’t necessarily agree with it. Why not just have him pitch a 80 pitch bullpen or simulated game? What are they going to do next year when he’s a full time member of the rotation? What if in August theres a rain out, you gonna send him to Lehigh? The guy, to me and most fans it seems, is a full time starter at this point. Stop treating him with kid gloves.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 5, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Cole won’t get to pitch anyway Chris with Bochy running the show. He also has 3 pitchers from his own team in the game. Timmay! needs some time on the mound, and I think the mlb will mandate an appearance of Roy and Clifton there, as well as Timmay!, just to appease the masses, but besides that and Polanco I think that’s all we’ll see of red pin stripes buddy. And it will be nice to have the Braves twitching at the plate like Dan Uggla’s bat out of fear of being struck the f&%$ out looking or swing at crap as these pitchers face them. It will be good to win that last series before the break because, DAMN. Those nasty a$$ braves are still only 4 games back. And the two guys who should be making that happen haven’t yet, look out if they do.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 5, 2011 at 8:53 AM

The best thing about Worley is that he is CHEAP!! If he can pitch like a #4 or #5, then he will be one of the key players on this team because he won’t be making any money. That’s what’s so good about him, and Stutes and the Bastid…they make nothing for the next 3 years. If they can just stay at least Major league worthy, they are key to the Phillies being able to sign more FAs and keep a guy like Mad Dog…although with him having Bor-ass as his agent, he is all but gone after this season. If they can give away Heavy B, plus say $7 million for a bag of balls, we can finally be rid of that fat #%@$#% headache.

And regarding the Braves…they are leading the Wild Card…good for them. Maybe with their pitching, they can eliminate the Giants so we won’t have to deal with Timmay in the NLCS ;)

• Kevin S. - Jul 5, 2011 at 9:05 AM

You’ve hit the nail on the head with Worley’s value – it’s not that he’s going to keep pitching like an ace, it’s that a legitimate back-end starter making league minimum is invaluable to a team that has so many other contractual obligations. Same thing with Ivan Nova for the Yankees – let’s not kid ourselves, he’ll never be anything special, but having that kind of guy holding down the back end of the rotation beats the shit out of paying $7 million/year for that kind of production on the open market.

Worth noting: Three teams have fifty wins so far. The Braves are one of them. I’d not keep underselling them if I were you.

Completely random side note: I argued with you last May on Posnanski’s blog that I’d prefer Jeter’s next contract to Howard’s. While my OPS+ tutorial and my arguments that Jeter was a better player in ’09 still stand, I will gladly eat whatever variety of humble pie you choose for me on that count.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 5, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Nah, Howard pissed me off last night with his weak-ass at bats. I haven’t checked the ball-strike location charts(mostly because I never know where the hell they are) but he seemed to watch change-up after change-up float in on the outside corner, then had the balls to whine about getting rung up. No, today is not a good day for me to defend Mr. Howard. And as far as Jeter…I have said it all along that he deserves to be paid by the Yankees if for anything but for being the first guy to get 3,000 hits in pinstripes and being an integral part of 5 Championships. The Yankees can afford to overpay for Jeter and they did.

Either way, neither of our guys is more overpaid than the guy with the .224/.330/.382/.711 line in our nation’s capital making $126 million for the next 6+ years. Ugh!

• FC - Jul 5, 2011 at 10:31 AM

The less the Phillies aces pitch in the AS the better. Look at CC, he’s going to the Bahamas to rest and recover and not risk a misstep in a game with little meaning. So it determines home field advantage in the WS… the game is already a crapshoot, and a good team will get the road wins it needs to win a championship. The Phillies did it in 08, so case in point there. I just wish Polanco would take a rest. He’s being selfish: he had monster April and has been playing with a sore back since and it shows in his bat production. Can’t have a #2 keep hitting so poorly.

I think the Worley move is good. It keeps Worley stretched out, bring up Mayberry because with Victorino nursing a bruised thumb I prefer Jr. in the CF over Martinez. He just used up his RBI Voucher for July. Hamels pitches on Sunday against the Braves, unlike you I take them seriously. They are great team so you want to maximize your chances to win those head-to-head series with your best pitchers, a further plus, Hamels does not pitch in the AS but gets the recognition, no need to risk another line drive to the right hand.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM

“He just used up his RBI Voucher for July.”

+1 for that line

I think the Braves are the most likely Wild Card team in the NL. That doesn’t mean I take them seriously? They have ZERO shot at winning the division though. The Braves were better last year than they are this year, they had a 7 game lead around this time last year, and they still lost the division by 6 games. Why would I think the Phillies would be in trouble this year, when they have Cliff Lee making the starts that Blanton was making last year…and if he gets back in August or September, they will have Oswalt making the starts that Kendrick is/was making?

Look, I kid with Braves fans but they are a legitimate Wild Card contender. No doubt about that. But there’s no chance in hell they are going to win the NL East. None.

• FC - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM

They have a better record than all other MLB Division leaders except the Yankees (and really they have the same # of wins) and a better record than the Red Sox, so I’m cautious, any stumble or prolonged slump could see the Braves streak by us just as we did to them last year. Nothing’s guaranteed in baseball. I’m optimistic, but to count them out when there’s still have half a season to play is foolish. Which is why I approve of lining up your best pitchers in an important head-to-head series.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Sorry, but I’m with FC here. The person known as FC speaks the truth. Kick them deeper in the hole NOW!

I wish I could be as optimistic as you are Chris, but these EFFING Braves have yet to have Heyward and Uggla perform as expected either. If and when that happens they could be pretty awesome themselves.

6. yankeesfanlen - Jul 5, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Defensive fail for Yanks in 7th led to our demise. Two outs, foul fly to left, Gardner should have called it it running in instead of letting ARod trying to get it going out. 4 runs saved.
    But it was the night to lose, if any, Yanks well below the weird manipulator in first-of-series games.And anyway, who ever heard of a Yankees away night game on the 4th of July? Patriotism is dead.

• kopy - Jul 5, 2011 at 9:44 AM

‘merica is the land of opportunity, even for Cleveland.

7. cur68 - Jul 5, 2011 at 10:24 AM

The stars aligned and the moon was in the 7th house (or something). Losses for the Yankees, Rays, Orioles and (heh, heh, heh) the Sox. Guess who won in the AL Beast last night? If the Blue Jays had a bullpen that was any good they’d have a 5 run victory yesterday afternoon. Alas, it was not meant to be quite that good, but it was good enough.

Now I’m not delusional (though opinions vary on that), so I expect a bounce back form the sturdy men of Beantown tonight and a loss for the Hired Guns of Beaverton, but I shall watch in any case, just in case there’s still some magic there.

• FC - Jul 5, 2011 at 10:38 AM

The Jays need Brett Lawrie pronto, the Bullpen isn’t the only issue. The OF is shaky at best. Though with Rivera gone that is an improvement. They need more consistent production from 5-7. More than once I’ve seen Bautista and Lind get on base and then stranded by the likes of Encarnacion and Arencibia.

• spudchukar - Jul 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Travis Snyder was impressive yesterday, plugging left-center especially. If he can live up to billing and Hill can return to norm, some of the load may be lifted from the backs of Lind and Bautista. It was a shaky start for Frankie, but once he garnered the zone, he looked dominant.

8. APBA Guy - Jul 5, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Three hits against Michael Pineda, two by Kurt Suzuki, who managed not to swing out of his shoes twice in one game, with a result reminiscent of his sophomore campaign. Pineda’s slider was devastating against RH, and his 94 mph fastball was plenty against the lefties. Brandon “I have no idea where it’s going but it’s going in a hurry” League was throwing 96-with movement-so that was obviously the end for the A’s. McCarthy lowered his ERA to 3.33, very good for a #5, and his overhand curve was excellent.

Of course the real story of this game is that the Mariners offense is dead last in the AL, and is the only thing propping up the A’s who are next to last. The ancient Josh Bard was catching for the Mariners, who actually miss Kenji Johjima. They may be the only ones. Of course Bard put one out to establish the insurmountable 1 run lead.

Watching these two teams in the warm afternoon sun led to the inevitable nap. Fortunately I had the DVR on, so when I recovered my senses I could get through the rest of the game, which served best as a warm-up for the upcoming EPL season, with the 2-1 final score.

9. spudchukar - Jul 5, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Sometimes 1-0 games can be exciting and July 4th, 2011 will be a memorable Independence Day for the Red Birds. Carpenter resembled the Cy Young winner of yesteryear as he mowed down the fierce Reds offense. Aided by a shutout saving catch by Jon Jay, the Cards squeaked out a beauty, and dispatched rival Johnny Cueto to the loser role, which along with Brandon Phillips’ 0fer, more than pleased the Cardinal Faithful. Once again we stand alone in first in the NL Central, and with another Independence Day of sorts, the freeing of Phat Albert from the DL looming today, hopes of an All-Star break lead brighten.

10. Old Gator - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:11 PM

What can you say about the Feesh? They waste great pitching performances like Frank and Jamie McCourt waste money. They’ve scored 1 or 0 runs so often this season – already – that one must needs suspect them all of planning careers in computer programming. Ah well. All life began on Kobol.

11. foreverchipper10 - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Freeman is growing on me too Craig.

• spudchukar - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I’d see a dermatologist.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4534)
  2. M. Kemp (3633)
  3. M. Cabrera (2867)
  4. M. Morse (2553)
  5. J. Kang (2510)
  1. J. Upton (2454)
  2. A. Rios (2178)
  3. C. Headley (2155)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2031)
  5. J. Peavy (1842)