Jul 5, 2011, 8:45 PM EST
The timetable for Carl Crawford‘s return is still up in the air, but he continues to make progress in his rehab from a hamstring injury.
Crawford was able to run the bases this afternoon for the first time since being placed on the disabled list last month, according to Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com. More specifically, he ran from first base to second and from first to third. He was also able to take batting practice.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona hasn’t dismissed the possibility that Crawford could be back before the All-Star break, but said that he won’t rush him back just to play one game.
“If he’s ready on Sunday, we would probably wait,” Francona said. “If he’s ready before that, (general manager) Theo (Epstein) and I need to sit down and talk to Carl, which we will do. If you’re going to play one game when you’re supposed to have another four days (off) you’ll take the four days.”
Crawford is hitting .243/.275/.384 with six homers, 31 RBI, eight stolen bases and a .659 OPS over his first 277 plate appearances this season.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 57
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 22
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)