Derek Jeter just four hits away from 3,000 after two-hit night

Jul 5, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

Maybe HBO isn’t going to need to follow Derek Jeter around for long, after all.

After going hitless in his return from the disabled list last night, Jeter went 2-for-6 in tonight’s 9-2 win over the Indians.

Jeter led off the game with a tapper down the third base line, almost identical to the play that went for an error in the first inning of last night’s game. However, Orlando Cabrera tried to barehand the ball, so it was ruled a single. There was no doubt about Jeter’s second hit, though, as he crushed a two-run double into the left-center field gap in the second inning. He went hitless over his final four at-bats of the evening.

Jeter now stands at 2,996 hits for his career, just four away from becoming the 28th player in baseball history to reach the 3,000-hit plateau. The Yankees will play the Indians again tomorrow night before beginning a four-game series against the Rays at Yankee Stadium on Thursday night.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 5, 2011 at 10:58 PM

After 2 heroic hits to start the game, the Captain ran out of steam during his next 4 at bats. I hope that the old timer did not get too tired.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Thumbs down if you want; however, I suspect that the long run to second base on his double tired him out.

2. FC - Jul 5, 2011 at 11:00 PM

How much do you wanna bet that if he reaches 2,999 tomorrow, he’s going to be going: ow ow ow, calf is acting up, Joe take me outta da game, I can’t continue…. hehehe. J/K I’m sure Jeter is a pro and wouldn’t resort to that kind of thing.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Late breaking news! Girardi is probably going to give Jeter the day off tomorrow.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:51 AM

After the game, Girardi really did say that he might give Jeter the day off for the sake of his health.

• Ari Collins - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Thumbs just don’t like you.

3. bleedgreen - Jul 5, 2011 at 11:10 PM

2966 + 4 != 3000. I think you meant 2996.

4. JBerardi - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Wooo, round numbers!

5. ballsout1950 - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Instead of celebrating an accomplishment achieved by only 27 others in major league history the thought process is to criticize and demean.

Jeter has been nothing but a hardworking, run it out every time, play every day, do his best player his entire career. Jeter has represented baseball with dignity and class. In an era of PED’s, there has never been a hint of drug scandal with Jeter. So why this hatred towards one of the best all around players of his generation who without the help of steroids has still hit 230+ home runs as a shortstop?

I am certainly no Yankees fan (I rooted Giants and a child and when they moved I rooted for no one until the Met’s showed up) but I don’t get the negativity and sniping. I celebrated the accomplishment when Boggs and Gwynn got their 3000th hits though I was certainly not a Tampa or Padres Fan. I celebrated when Brett and Yount got theirs and I am certainly not fans of the Royals and Brewers.

I did however recognize the achievement and the quality of the player that reached that level.

Yes 3000 is nothing more than a round number but it represents a career of consistently high performance. That should be celebrated.

• ballsout1950 - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:20 AM

should say AS a child. Can’t type

• trevorb06 - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Why the hate towards Bagwell?

• aceshigh11 - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I think you mean Biggio.

Craig Biggio got 3,000 hits.

• ballsout1950 - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM

loved Bagwell except when he would crush the Met’s. Bag’s 2314 hits were respectabl;e and I think he is a hall of famer but he didn’t make it to 3000. Biggio on the other hand I did chear on but this brings up a good comparison.

Jeter is getting slamed for his .260 batting average and .320 OBP as he goes after #3000
        Bigio in his last three seasons had batting averages of .264. .246, and .251. His OBP was .325, .306 and .285

6. trevorb06 - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I guarantee they’re going to make a huge deal about him hitting the DL just shy of 3000th and make it sound as if his ‘quest to reach 3000 hits’ is some how in jeopardy of never being reached. Sad violin music will also be playing in the background and they’ll over use black and white coloring.

7. deathmonkey41 - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Well, to everyone here’s dismay, it looks like the next person that is realistically going to reach that magic number is going to be A-Rod. Not sure if VIzquel or Ivan Rodriguez are going to stick around long enough and get enough ABs to do it before they call it quits.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4990)