Dontrelle Willis is in the best shape of his life

Jul 5, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT

dontrelle-willis-reds-spring AP

Boy, it’s a rare treat to get a BSOHL story in July, but we have one! It’s Dontrelle Willis, who was scratched from his start down at AAA Louisville yesterday. The speculation was that he was going to get called up to Cincinnati to fill in for Bronson Arroyo, who was complaining of dizziness, but it seems Arroyo is better now.

Willis is good too: he has a 2.63 ERA in 13 starts and — key for him — he has a 3.35 K/BB ratio, suggesting that he may have a handle on what has been ailing him these past few years.

But the real story here are the words of Willis’ agent, Matt Sosnick, who puts us in mind of spring training with his assessment of his client’s state of health:

“I feel strongly that he has turned the corner.  He’s in the best shape of his career and is throwing with the highest velocity he’s ever had.  I feel very confident that he will be an impact player in the Major Leagues this year and for many years to come.”

All that’s missing for perfection is something about how Willis has been working on a new pitch.

(thanks to Hannah for the heads up)

1. purnellmeagrejr - Jul 5, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I’ve always kind of liked Willis; I hope he does well.

2. cintiphil - Jul 5, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Can he hit? We really need some hitting in Cinti.

3. metalhead65 - Jul 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM

yea it is just to bad he is not better than than human batting practice machine in Bronson Arroyo the reds send out to get punded every start. or the guy they still think will be a quality major league pitcher in volquez. how in the world do you let a guy pitch who reports to camp with mono? not only that you keep sending him out there even though he gets lit up like a christmas tree every time he pitches. but they keep doing it because he says he feels ok? do they not have doctors on this team? I feel sorry for willis that he signed with a team that is to stupid or stubborn to actually make the moves that could make this team better. instead of calling him up and putting arroyo on the dl or sending volqez back down, or instead of cutting the shortstop who can’t hit or field in renteria and calling up the shortstop who is tearing it up in tripple a. they like the team just the way it is! no they would rather trade their talent for another washed up ex card in ludwig than to actualy use the farm system for what is for and that would be to make the big league club better! and don’t forget you can’t play the young outfielder who shows plenty of promise in Hiesey everyday because he does so well pinch hitting and because he has started 20 games and not done as well because we all know 20 games is plenty of time to show what you would do over a full season.

• Old Gator - Jul 5, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Wait till he comes up. A few bowls of Cincinnati chili and a couple of slabs of goetta with his scrambled eggs and he’ll be throwing in the high 90s. Who needs doctors when you’ve got stuff like that to eat anyway?

• GIBoxer5 - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM

THIS is why I come here..lol Nothing better than a guy who knows he’s smarter than two of baseballs most brilliant minds (Jock and Morgan). Same guy was screaming the exact same thing all last season, even though the Reds won the division. At least you stand proudly by your ignorance..that’s important.

• metalhead65 - Jul 5, 2011 at 2:09 PM

so mr. know it all please show me where I was wrong in anything I said? does renteria not suck? is arroyo not getting battered everytime he pitches? is volquez not more than a 6 inning max pitcher who gives up at least 3 runs and walks during those innings? that brilliant mind is the same one who signed renteria to a 2 million dollar contract when nobody else would sign him. he is also the same guy who brought in a washed up edmonds last year. that would be the guy who who ruptured his achilles while running the bases on a home run trot! then he shows what a classless ex-card he is by blaming the reds for him not being able to play anymore. not exactly genius moves for somebody who is supposed to be one. since I have been a life long reds fan I can say whatever I want about my team particularly if they are playing as bad as they have been.never said I was smarter just offering my opinion on what to do since they are content with the mediocre team they have right now. maybe you are content to sit and watch your team do nothing but some of us happen to be passionate about our team.

• spudchukar - Jul 5, 2011 at 2:48 PM

This also comes from wise old sage who claimed that Travis,(as in AAA) Wood, was the far better pitcher than Jaime (3rd in ROY balloting) Garcia, so take his musings with a grain of salt.

4. foreverchipper10 - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Every athlete making a comeback is “in the best shape of his life.” Regardless of that statement I did not know Willis was still pitching competitively let alone doing well and close to a call-up. Maybe he can help the Reds. They haven’t exactly had quality pitching from most of their staff save Cueto.

5. hank10 - Jul 5, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Anytime a player says he’s ‘in the best shape of my life’, watch out below.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5585)