Jul 5, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT
Boy, it’s a rare treat to get a BSOHL story in July, but we have one! It’s Dontrelle Willis, who was scratched from his start down at AAA Louisville yesterday. The speculation was that he was going to get called up to Cincinnati to fill in for Bronson Arroyo, who was complaining of dizziness, but it seems Arroyo is better now.
Willis is good too: he has a 2.63 ERA in 13 starts and — key for him — he has a 3.35 K/BB ratio, suggesting that he may have a handle on what has been ailing him these past few years.
But the real story here are the words of Willis’ agent, Matt Sosnick, who puts us in mind of spring training with his assessment of his client’s state of health:
“I feel strongly that he has turned the corner. He’s in the best shape of his career and is throwing with the highest velocity he’s ever had. I feel very confident that he will be an impact player in the Major Leagues this year and for many years to come.”
All that’s missing for perfection is something about how Willis has been working on a new pitch.
(thanks to Hannah for the heads up)
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)