Jul 5, 2011, 9:12 AM EST
A sore triceps muscle is normally not all that newsworthy because, really, simply opening a stubborn pickle jar and give a guy a sore triceps muscle. But when that guy is someone as bulletproof and essential as Mariano Rivera, it is at least worthy of mention.
A sore triceps kept Rivera out of yesterday’s game against the Indians. Well, technically the fact that the Yankees were losing and had no need for their closer did, but Rivera likely wouldn’t have been available anyway. He first felt the injury after his blown save against the Mets on Sunday, but he didn’t tell anyone about it until he got to Cleveland yesterday.
He said he’s not concerned about it. Joe Girardi isn’t either. Personally, I have learned over the past 15 years that you don’t worry about or count out Mariano Rivera unless and until his arm is physically ripped from his body, so this is probably not a big deal.
But it is worth watching, because everyone grows old eventually, and when you grow old things start to bug you more. And that’s presumably true for even Mariano Rivera.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 71
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)