Jul 5, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
A sore triceps muscle is normally not all that newsworthy because, really, simply opening a stubborn pickle jar and give a guy a sore triceps muscle. But when that guy is someone as bulletproof and essential as Mariano Rivera, it is at least worthy of mention.
A sore triceps kept Rivera out of yesterday’s game against the Indians. Well, technically the fact that the Yankees were losing and had no need for their closer did, but Rivera likely wouldn’t have been available anyway. He first felt the injury after his blown save against the Mets on Sunday, but he didn’t tell anyone about it until he got to Cleveland yesterday.
He said he’s not concerned about it. Joe Girardi isn’t either. Personally, I have learned over the past 15 years that you don’t worry about or count out Mariano Rivera unless and until his arm is physically ripped from his body, so this is probably not a big deal.
But it is worth watching, because everyone grows old eventually, and when you grow old things start to bug you more. And that’s presumably true for even Mariano Rivera.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)