Jul 5, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
A sore triceps muscle is normally not all that newsworthy because, really, simply opening a stubborn pickle jar and give a guy a sore triceps muscle. But when that guy is someone as bulletproof and essential as Mariano Rivera, it is at least worthy of mention.
A sore triceps kept Rivera out of yesterday’s game against the Indians. Well, technically the fact that the Yankees were losing and had no need for their closer did, but Rivera likely wouldn’t have been available anyway. He first felt the injury after his blown save against the Mets on Sunday, but he didn’t tell anyone about it until he got to Cleveland yesterday.
He said he’s not concerned about it. Joe Girardi isn’t either. Personally, I have learned over the past 15 years that you don’t worry about or count out Mariano Rivera unless and until his arm is physically ripped from his body, so this is probably not a big deal.
But it is worth watching, because everyone grows old eventually, and when you grow old things start to bug you more. And that’s presumably true for even Mariano Rivera.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)