Jul 5, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
A sore triceps muscle is normally not all that newsworthy because, really, simply opening a stubborn pickle jar and give a guy a sore triceps muscle. But when that guy is someone as bulletproof and essential as Mariano Rivera, it is at least worthy of mention.
A sore triceps kept Rivera out of yesterday’s game against the Indians. Well, technically the fact that the Yankees were losing and had no need for their closer did, but Rivera likely wouldn’t have been available anyway. He first felt the injury after his blown save against the Mets on Sunday, but he didn’t tell anyone about it until he got to Cleveland yesterday.
He said he’s not concerned about it. Joe Girardi isn’t either. Personally, I have learned over the past 15 years that you don’t worry about or count out Mariano Rivera unless and until his arm is physically ripped from his body, so this is probably not a big deal.
But it is worth watching, because everyone grows old eventually, and when you grow old things start to bug you more. And that’s presumably true for even Mariano Rivera.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 83
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (84)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)