Jul 5, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
A sore triceps muscle is normally not all that newsworthy because, really, simply opening a stubborn pickle jar and give a guy a sore triceps muscle. But when that guy is someone as bulletproof and essential as Mariano Rivera, it is at least worthy of mention.
A sore triceps kept Rivera out of yesterday’s game against the Indians. Well, technically the fact that the Yankees were losing and had no need for their closer did, but Rivera likely wouldn’t have been available anyway. He first felt the injury after his blown save against the Mets on Sunday, but he didn’t tell anyone about it until he got to Cleveland yesterday.
He said he’s not concerned about it. Joe Girardi isn’t either. Personally, I have learned over the past 15 years that you don’t worry about or count out Mariano Rivera unless and until his arm is physically ripped from his body, so this is probably not a big deal.
But it is worth watching, because everyone grows old eventually, and when you grow old things start to bug you more. And that’s presumably true for even Mariano Rivera.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 0
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 23
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 9
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 34
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)