Jul 5, 2011, 7:32 PM EST
Barring an emergency situation, the Yankees will be without Mariano Rivera for a second straight night.
According to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, Rivera still felt some tightness in his right triceps muscle while long-tossing with Boone Logan before tonight’s game against the Indians.
“I feel better today but I think we’re going to do another day off,” Rivera said about an hour before the beginning of Tuesday night’s game between the Yankees and Indians at Progressive Field. “I felt it a little bit. I could pitch, yes, but if they can get by another day, it would be much better. And wiser I would say so.”
While Rivera maintained that he is “not concerned” about the injury, he acknowledged that “after 17 years of doing this you’re going to have some soreness.”
Rivera, 41, has a 1.91 ERA, 21 saves and a 28/5 K/BB ratio over 35 appearances this season. He is currently on pace for 68 appearances, which would be his most since 2005.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)