One of the better “how to fix the All-Star Game” stories you’ll read

Jul 5, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks - All Star Game 2011 - Logo

“How to fix the All-Star Game” stories run pretty thick this time of year. Everyone looks at the rosters and, more significantly, looks at all of the fill-ins and beg-outs after the rosters are announced and realizes that there has to be a better way to run a railroad.

I’m sort of blah about it all because, even though I will watch the game, I have more or less given up on the All-Star Game as some sort of important or particularly worthy pursuit. Occasionally interesting, sure, but asking how to fix it is sort of like asking how I’m going to fix that swag lamp in the corner of the basement rec room over the beanbag chair.  Eh, what’s the point?

Put people still try, and as far as those efforts go, Jeff Passan’s proposals over at Yahoo! are some of the better ones I’ve seen.  I think the key is the requirement that starters and starting pitchers play four or five innings.  Because really, it’s the token player usage and constant pitching changes which kill the proceedings more than anything. I’d like to see how Roy Halladay adjusts to facing a whole lineup of good hitters, some of them he seems twice, more than I want to see him mow down four dudes and then leave.

And yeah, Wily Mo Pena in the Home Run Derby seems pretty essential to me.

1. scatterbrian - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Show of thumbs: Would it ruin the All-Star Game experience for you if there was no fan voting?

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:39 PM

As we have seen this year…in certain spots, fan voting can be a joke…(Jeter…cough, cough). So I agree. Take the vote away, or change the rules of the fan vote somehow.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 5, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Not sure why you are picking on the fans, the managers are the ones who choose who wins the Gold Gloves, and they manage to pick Jeter for that too.

And do we have to bring up the comments by Frenchy (OBP + Turner Field) or McNabb (OT in regular season)? It’s pick your poison as there is no perfect method.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Picking on the fans because this is about the ASG not the Gold Glove.

• purdueman - Jul 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Baseball imposes a lot of their own credibility problems on themselves. For example, just because a writer has put in the necessary 10 years in the union as a baseball beat writer/columnist doesn’t make them at all qualified to vote on players for the HOF from the other league if they are from a one league city.

In addition, since guys have to be retired 5 years to be eligible for the HOF ballot, a lot of writers with a vote have seen even less of those players play than of current players, yet the insanity is allowed to continue.

With respect to gold gloves, managers should only be allowed to vote for players in their own division, as most other teams they only see play a half a dozen or so games.

I’ll never forget how stuplified Joe Torre was when managing the Yankees when Cashman acquired Estaban Loiaza from the White Sox. All Torre remembered was the Loiaza who was a Cy Young top 3 candidate from the year before… because once again he hadn’t seen him pitch that year.

Alexei Ramirez hands down should have won the gold glove in the AL at SS last season, but he’s a quiet guy who speaks very little English and is a total unknown outside of the AL Central cities. It may not be fair, but in all sports guys oftentimes get a hall pass based solely on their past reputations.

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

No mention of the gold glove here…

2. scatterbrian - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Show of thumbs: Would it ruin the All-Star Game experience for you if there was no representative from your favorite team?

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:47 PM

No…the best players should be there…

3. purdueman - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM

To me the real problem with the All Star Game is that there simply are too many players and too much of a demand placed on the managers to try and get as many players into the game as possible, even though the manager has only 24-27 outs to work with.

Back when the All Star games used to mean something, there were only 16 teams and 50 All Stars (25 per league). We now though have 30 teams, so if that ratio were to hold true today there would be 47 All Stars per league, which would of course be a ridiculous number for one game.

For those of us lucky enough to have attended All Star games outside of the immediate area we live in, the Monday before the game is “dead time” unless you’re really gung ho to attend Home Run Derby (frankly Fan Fest is a lot more interesting IMO).

Why not go back to the early ’60’s All Star Game format and hold two All Star Games on consecutive nights and split the leagues into two separate East and West Squads of 23 men each? (that would be the same approximate number of All Stars based on the ratio of the original 25 man squads pulled from only 16 teams).

That would allow a lot more time to showcase the stars, provide more slots to eliminate the dreaded omissions that occur every year and provide another big TV event. To add interest, the squads could be rotated annually (i.e., NL East vs. AL East one year and then NL East vs. AL West the next). The only thing that would be needed would be to push back the season by one day (in order to make the Sunday prior an off day for all teams).

• ta192 - Jul 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Oh, horror, how would you decide World Series home field advantage if they split?

• purdueman - Jul 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

LOL! The only reason that Selig pushed through the WS home field advantage thing was because of what happened in the 2002 All Star debacle in Milwaukee where both teams ran out of pitchers and the game resulted in a milk-toast tie.

If the game were split into two games with fewer players for each game, there wouldn’t be nearly the pressure on managers to get every guy at least a cameo appearance in. Aside from Selig, I don’t know anyone who favors the current system for determining home field advantage.

To me, home field advantage in the WS should be based on the following sequence of tie breakers:

1) Best overall record. If tied?;
        2) Best overall record in interleague play that season. If still tied?;
        3) Best overall record against common teams played that season;. If still tied?
        4) Alternating leagues; that is to say, the team from the league that were visitors the prior world series would get home field advantage.

4. marshmallowsnake - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Being in Phoenix, I can care less about the All-Star game. I have no desire to go…however, the HR Derby I will be at…because that is exciting. :)

• qcubed3 - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Also being in Phoenix, I do care about the All-Star game. I do have a desire (and the tix) to go…and the HR Derby will be exciting.

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Have fun at the game! I never was a fan of the All Star game for many reasons (too many to get into here). I am sure it will be a great game, and you will have an awesome time…if I watch it, I would prefer it to be at home – where the beer is cheaper and my couch is free! ;).

• purdueman - Jul 5, 2011 at 6:52 PM

If you live in the Phoenix area, I’ll give you one very, very good reason as to why you should go to the game in person instead of watching it on tv: NO TIM MC CARVER!

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM

LOL! That is a great reason…however, I would rather suffer through Tim then shell out the cost for the actual game. The derby tickets that I purchased were 60 bucks…and are going for 130 on the D’Backs site…so I made out just fine :)

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 6, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Plus, you can always hit mute and then play some of your favorite music instead!

5. marshmallowsnake - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I do like his idea of metal/composite bats…can you imagine the moon shots that these beasts would be hitting?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3863)