Pettitte, Knoblauch testimony likely to be tossed from Clemens case

Jul 5, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

Roger Clemens closeup head

It’s unclear if Andy Pettitte and Chuck Knoblauch will be completely eliminated from the Roger Clemens trial, but the judge ruled this morning that they will not be permitted to testify about Brian McNamee providing them performance enhancing drugs as a means of establishing that, yes, it may be likely that Clemens got some too.

This is a different tack that the judge in the Barry Bonds case took, in which other BALCO clients and former Bonds teammates testified about their own drug use.  Presumably, Pettitte, to the extent he has something to say on the matter, could still testify regarding his personal knowledge of Clemens’ own drug use.

At the same time, the judge also indicated that he would likely bar the introduction of evidence related to Brian McNamee’s alleged rape of a woman in a Florida pool back in 2001.  Again, it’s unclear if just the underlying incident will be barred as inflammatory and prejudicial or if the police’s impressions that McNamee lied to them would be barred as well.  Those things may be too difficult to untangle from one another, of course.

All in all, however, it sounds like the judge is going for a streamlined case. Which, frankly, may be the best thing for everyone.

1. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM

[Caveat that I'm not a lawyer]
    Should it have ever been allowed in? I mean, the plural of anecdote is not data, so merely saying he’s done it twice ergo he’d do it a third time isn’t conclusive evidence is it?

2. edgydc - Jul 5, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Well, I imagine it would be if MaNamee was on trial.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 5, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I cant see why this should be allowed, if my cousin was a Axe murder and so was my uncle does that mean i might be one too? I mean lets face it, even if i hung around with them its not a topic you normally bring up at the supper table just like using any kind of drugs. Maybe finally we have a good judge over looking this case, next the “7 year needles under mcnamee’s bed” should also be thrown out cause lets be honest. ANYONE could have tampered with them, therefore it proves NOTHING

• proudlycanadian - Jul 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Roger Clemens is an honorable man who is unable to tell a lie. He never threw a bat at that man, Mr. Piazza. Nobody in his family including his wife ever had drugs injected into their posterior.Mr. Clemens never cheated on his wife with that teenaged country singer. He is cleaner than snow. Rusty Hardin has his client’s best interests at heart and is not trying to milk his client for all he can get.
      Changing the topic, I just bought the Brooklin Bridge and am wondering what tolls I should charge. Does $25 a trip seem too low?

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM

yet another pathetic post by proudly, one of the last 6 bluegays fans left in the world, lol God i cant wait until they join the expos and baseball is totally finished in canada!!

4. nudeman - Jul 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM

After seeing Casey Anthony get acquitted today, I no longer think our justice system is capable of getting a conviction, regardless of the evidence.

Clemens lied about using roids; But I’m 99.999999% sure of that.

So he’ll be acquitted, go free, write a book portraying himself as a victim, go on a speaking tour, make back the millions he’s lost and probably renew acquaintances with Mindy McCready.

• offseasonblues - Jul 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I’m aware of this case but haven’t followed in detail. What exactly did the defendant do?

My reaction, again without having heard all the evidence, but hearing the verdict analysis, is that the jury certainly did the gutsy thing since the media coverage has been such that you and many others were convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that the mother should die for her crime.

So fill me in please. When and how did she do it and what was the proof? Because I kept thinking I’d missed that part of the news story, but today I find out that the prosecution never even proved the death was murder.

As for Roger, I’m 100% convinced he’s a sleazy, fat, slacker – or at least that’s what he was at the end in Boston. I will follow the trial with curiosity.

5. nullstadt - Jul 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Craig, just wanted to say thanks for using “tack” correctly (i.e., “This is a different tack that the judge….”); your peers tend to use “tact” instead, and it drives me up a wall.

Back on topic, I am hopeful that Pettitte’s allowed testimony will make up for the loss of Knoblauch’s, and they convict Clemens in short order.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3103)