Jul 5, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal has a good piece up this morning about the state-of-the-Astros. Specifically, where they stand on the ownership transfer. The short version: Jim Crane is on track for approval, but it may not come before the trade deadline at the end of the month. Which leads to an interesting discussion of how much say an owner-in-waiting like Crane has on team moves. In his case, I just hope he’s yelling “sell!” through a megaphone and hoping to be heard.
Also of interest: contrary to what many suspected last month, Major League Baseball has not made Crane’s acceptance of a move of the Astros to the American League a condition of the team’s sale. In fact, the subject has not been brought up, Rosenthal’s sources tell him.
It’s a good article about a topic — the sale and potential revitalization and transformation of an MLB franchise — that is getting surprisingly little attention this summer.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)