Jul 5, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
When the Phillies placed Ryan Madson on the disabled list they downplayed the severity of his hand injury, but yesterday the team officially ruled out his returning before the All-Star break.
Madson last pitched on June 18, so he’s already eligible to come off the DL, but Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that “he only started to play catch this weekend” and “will need to throw off a mound at least a couple times before he rejoins the bullpen.”
Zolecki speculates that the earliest Madson will return is July 15, which means he will have missed a month with an injury that didn’t even send him to the DL for 10 days as the Phillies initially tried to keep him on the active roster. It also means Brad Lidge may actually beat Madson back from the DL, which could give Charlie Manuel some interesting late-inning decisions if the former closer thrives immediately while the current closer is out of commission.
In the meantime Antonio Bastardo will continue to fill ninth-inning duties after converting each of his first five save chances to go along with a sparkling 0.87 ERA in 31 innings overall. If everyone gets healthy at some point between now and October the Phillies’ bullpen could be extremely dangerous.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)