Jul 5, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
When the Phillies placed Ryan Madson on the disabled list they downplayed the severity of his hand injury, but yesterday the team officially ruled out his returning before the All-Star break.
Madson last pitched on June 18, so he’s already eligible to come off the DL, but Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that “he only started to play catch this weekend” and “will need to throw off a mound at least a couple times before he rejoins the bullpen.”
Zolecki speculates that the earliest Madson will return is July 15, which means he will have missed a month with an injury that didn’t even send him to the DL for 10 days as the Phillies initially tried to keep him on the active roster. It also means Brad Lidge may actually beat Madson back from the DL, which could give Charlie Manuel some interesting late-inning decisions if the former closer thrives immediately while the current closer is out of commission.
In the meantime Antonio Bastardo will continue to fill ninth-inning duties after converting each of his first five save chances to go along with a sparkling 0.87 ERA in 31 innings overall. If everyone gets healthy at some point between now and October the Phillies’ bullpen could be extremely dangerous.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)