Jul 5, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
When the Phillies placed Ryan Madson on the disabled list they downplayed the severity of his hand injury, but yesterday the team officially ruled out his returning before the All-Star break.
Madson last pitched on June 18, so he’s already eligible to come off the DL, but Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that “he only started to play catch this weekend” and “will need to throw off a mound at least a couple times before he rejoins the bullpen.”
Zolecki speculates that the earliest Madson will return is July 15, which means he will have missed a month with an injury that didn’t even send him to the DL for 10 days as the Phillies initially tried to keep him on the active roster. It also means Brad Lidge may actually beat Madson back from the DL, which could give Charlie Manuel some interesting late-inning decisions if the former closer thrives immediately while the current closer is out of commission.
In the meantime Antonio Bastardo will continue to fill ninth-inning duties after converting each of his first five save chances to go along with a sparkling 0.87 ERA in 31 innings overall. If everyone gets healthy at some point between now and October the Phillies’ bullpen could be extremely dangerous.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 1
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 24
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 43
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 18
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)