Jul 5, 2011, 2:52 PM EDT
Luke Scott has played through a torn shoulder labrum for much of the season, with horrible results, and now the Orioles have finally decided to shut him down.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Scott will be placed on the disabled list after hitting just .223 with a .712 OPS that’s 135 points below his career mark. He went just 12-for-62 (.194) with 15 strikeouts since June 1.
Scott will be eligible to return shortly after the All-Star break, but according to Connolly season-ending surgery remains an option depending on how the shoulder responds to time off.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)