Jul 5, 2011, 2:52 PM EDT
Luke Scott has played through a torn shoulder labrum for much of the season, with horrible results, and now the Orioles have finally decided to shut him down.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Scott will be placed on the disabled list after hitting just .223 with a .712 OPS that’s 135 points below his career mark. He went just 12-for-62 (.194) with 15 strikeouts since June 1.
Scott will be eligible to return shortly after the All-Star break, but according to Connolly season-ending surgery remains an option depending on how the shoulder responds to time off.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)