Jul 5, 2011, 2:52 PM EST
Luke Scott has played through a torn shoulder labrum for much of the season, with horrible results, and now the Orioles have finally decided to shut him down.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Scott will be placed on the disabled list after hitting just .223 with a .712 OPS that’s 135 points below his career mark. He went just 12-for-62 (.194) with 15 strikeouts since June 1.
Scott will be eligible to return shortly after the All-Star break, but according to Connolly season-ending surgery remains an option depending on how the shoulder responds to time off.
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 8
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)