With Carlos Quentin to dangle, White Sox scout Braves pitching

Jul 5, 2011, 6:41 PM EDT

Carlos Quentin Getty Images

The White Sox sent assistant general manager Dave Yokum to watch Braves pitchers last week, leading to speculation that GM Ken Williams might be interested in dealing for some of Atlanta’s excess pitching.

According to CSNChicago.com, one of the pitchers the White Sox were eyeing was Brandon Beachy, though the 24-year-old looks far from expendable given his 3.23 ERA and 72/15 K/BB ratio in 61 1/3 innings as a rookie this season.

The Braves, though, could certainly use a bat, and the White Sox might be willing to trade Carlos Quentin if they can get a long-term starting pitcher in return.  Quentin has bounced back to hit .253/.351/.512 with 17 homers and 49 RBI this season, and he was named to the All-Star team Sunday.  The White Sox would lose quite a bit by taking him out of the lineup, but they do have Dayan Viciedo ready for an opportunity in a corner-outfield slot.

It is hard to imagine the Braves signing off on a Beachy-for-Quentin swap, but Mike Minor for Quentin could work for both sides.  Minor, the seventh overall selection in the 2009 draft, wouldn’t crack the White Sox rotation right away, but he would be a fine choice to step in next year with both Mark Buehrle and Edwin Jackson potentially departing through free agency.

1. bobulated - Jul 5, 2011 at 7:04 PM

The Braves have a lot of good, young arms and it’s only natural other teams will be coming around sniffing their biscuits. That being said I think they would much rather see what they can get for Lowe or even Jurrjens (a Boras client) while his stock is so high. I’m not saying JJ is on the block but if you can sell high on a guy who many consider to be out-pitching his stuff right now, IMHO you have to listen to some offers.

2. Kevin S. - Jul 5, 2011 at 7:55 PM

If they can, the Braves would probably be better served looking for help in CF. If Kemp were to become available, the Braves have to prospects to get him, and Colby Rasmus still needs freeing. Given the level-headedness of Sandy Alderson, being in the same division might not prevent him from packing Beltran south for the right deal, though I wouldn’t have him in CF every day.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:35 AM

If the Braves landed Kemp I would quite possibly crap my pants much like I did when we acquired Big Tex from the Rangers even though we gave up a king’s ransom (Neftali Feliz, Elvis Andrus and another player who currently eludes me.)

• atlsp - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Feliz, Andrus, Saltalamacchia, Harrison…

Oh why do you make me recount this.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM

It hurts me too. Salty was who eluded me. I completely forgot abotu Harrison. Now it makes me feel worse.

3. strandedtwinsfan - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Rick Hahn is the assistant general manager. Dave Yoakum, spelled with an “a” after the “o” is the “Special Assistant to the Senior VP/General Manager.” You get a pass, but CSNChicago really ought to know better.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3266)