Jul 6, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
A day after being activated — but seeing no playing time — Albert Pujols is back in the Cardinals’ lineup, batting third and playing first base.
Whatever we can say about his quick recovery, if I were the opposition, I’d certainly want to test just how recovered he is. I certainly wouldn’t want to hit the guy or anything — we’re not savages here — but I’d probably feed him a steady diet of hard inside stuff to see just how strong that wrist is. And then he’d probably hit, like, three homers, but that’s why I’m not a pitching coach or a manager or whatever.
Anyway, welcome back El Hombre.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (111)