Jul 6, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Despite the fact that blogging lends itself to insta-analysis couched in sharp opinions, I think the best analysis of the most difficult topics raises more questions than it does provide easy answers. That’s the case with Jeff Passan’s piece about Albert Pujols’ quick return to action after breaking a bone in his arm.
Which, though he and I usually disagree fairly sharply when the issue of PEDs come up, is a thoughtful take, particularly at the end where he asks himself if he’s being naive in not buying what some folks on the Internet are selling about what may have fueled Pujols’ quick return. And he offers this apt bit of insight:
Nearly every team tunes into MLB Network before a game, and the peanut galleries sitting on clubhouse couches deal in snark. I don’t know where it was or who it was, but I guarantee that when the news about Pujols’ return flashed across the screen, another player did one of those fake coughs to muffle the letters “HGH.” He is part of the problem.
I haven’t seen mainstream writers or bloggers accusing Pujols of anything. I have seen a few comments on blogs and tweets making those sorts of insinuations. And I have no doubt that Passan is right about some players questioning it too, if only in jest.
But even if there isn’t a critical mass of people looking askance at Pujols’ quick return, I find it rather depressing that we’re at a point where anyone thinks that is the most likely answer.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games