Jul 6, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Despite the fact that blogging lends itself to insta-analysis couched in sharp opinions, I think the best analysis of the most difficult topics raises more questions than it does provide easy answers. That’s the case with Jeff Passan’s piece about Albert Pujols’ quick return to action after breaking a bone in his arm.
Which, though he and I usually disagree fairly sharply when the issue of PEDs come up, is a thoughtful take, particularly at the end where he asks himself if he’s being naive in not buying what some folks on the Internet are selling about what may have fueled Pujols’ quick return. And he offers this apt bit of insight:
Nearly every team tunes into MLB Network before a game, and the peanut galleries sitting on clubhouse couches deal in snark. I don’t know where it was or who it was, but I guarantee that when the news about Pujols’ return flashed across the screen, another player did one of those fake coughs to muffle the letters “HGH.” He is part of the problem.
I haven’t seen mainstream writers or bloggers accusing Pujols of anything. I have seen a few comments on blogs and tweets making those sorts of insinuations. And I have no doubt that Passan is right about some players questioning it too, if only in jest.
But even if there isn’t a critical mass of people looking askance at Pujols’ quick return, I find it rather depressing that we’re at a point where anyone thinks that is the most likely answer.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)