Jul 6, 2011, 2:22 PM EST
Chalk up another lost season for Brandon Webb.
The veteran right-hander hasn’t pitched in a major league game since Opening Day in 2009 due to chronic issues with his throwing shoulder and he’s no longer expected to break that streak here in 2011.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, an MRI taken Wednesday on Webb’s right shoulder showed “changes” to his rotator cuff which might require a surgical procedure. He’s likely done for the year after throwing just 12 innings to the tune of a 9.75 ERA for the Rangers’ Double-A affiliate.
Webb won the National League Cy Young Award in 2006 with the Diamondbacks and earned MVP votes in 2007 and 2008. He agreed to a one-year, $3 million free agent contract with the Rangers this past winter that carried performance-based bonuses worth up to $4 million. The 32-year-old will almost certainly have to settle for a minor league deal if he wants to continue pitching next season.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)