Jul 6, 2011, 2:22 PM EST
Chalk up another lost season for Brandon Webb.
The veteran right-hander hasn’t pitched in a major league game since Opening Day in 2009 due to chronic issues with his throwing shoulder and he’s no longer expected to break that streak here in 2011.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, an MRI taken Wednesday on Webb’s right shoulder showed “changes” to his rotator cuff which might require a surgical procedure. He’s likely done for the year after throwing just 12 innings to the tune of a 9.75 ERA for the Rangers’ Double-A affiliate.
Webb won the National League Cy Young Award in 2006 with the Diamondbacks and earned MVP votes in 2007 and 2008. He agreed to a one-year, $3 million free agent contract with the Rangers this past winter that carried performance-based bonuses worth up to $4 million. The 32-year-old will almost certainly have to settle for a minor league deal if he wants to continue pitching next season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)