Jul 6, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
Today on Real Managers of the National League, Bruce fires back after Clint and Jack get all up in his grill!
Jack McKeon and Clint Hurdle, who manage the Marlins and Pirates, respectively, criticized Bruce Bochy for snubbing players on their teams. On Tuesday, Bochy fired back, saying many managers phoned him before the picks were made to lobby for certain players, but McKeon and Hurdle did not.
“What bothers me are some of the comments made by other managers,” Bochy said. “Now you’re getting personal, disparaging other players. That’s not what this game is about. The two that complained, I’ve known them for over 25 years and didn’t hear from them. That bothered me.”
At this point, if baseball truly were a reality show, another manager — say, Don Mattingly — would go to the little confession room or whatever they call it and say “I guess what Bruce just doesn’t understand is that Clint and Jack were just trying to stick up for their own guys. Which is something Bruce would probably do if the situation were reversed.”
I’d like to think that Mattingly would then offer some version of “Oh no he din’t!” but that’s probably asking too much.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 71
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 216
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (216)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)