Jul 6, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
Today on Real Managers of the National League, Bruce fires back after Clint and Jack get all up in his grill!
Jack McKeon and Clint Hurdle, who manage the Marlins and Pirates, respectively, criticized Bruce Bochy for snubbing players on their teams. On Tuesday, Bochy fired back, saying many managers phoned him before the picks were made to lobby for certain players, but McKeon and Hurdle did not.
“What bothers me are some of the comments made by other managers,” Bochy said. “Now you’re getting personal, disparaging other players. That’s not what this game is about. The two that complained, I’ve known them for over 25 years and didn’t hear from them. That bothered me.”
At this point, if baseball truly were a reality show, another manager — say, Don Mattingly — would go to the little confession room or whatever they call it and say “I guess what Bruce just doesn’t understand is that Clint and Jack were just trying to stick up for their own guys. Which is something Bruce would probably do if the situation were reversed.”
I’d like to think that Mattingly would then offer some version of “Oh no he din’t!” but that’s probably asking too much.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 41
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)