Jul 6, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
Today on Real Managers of the National League, Bruce fires back after Clint and Jack get all up in his grill!
Jack McKeon and Clint Hurdle, who manage the Marlins and Pirates, respectively, criticized Bruce Bochy for snubbing players on their teams. On Tuesday, Bochy fired back, saying many managers phoned him before the picks were made to lobby for certain players, but McKeon and Hurdle did not.
“What bothers me are some of the comments made by other managers,” Bochy said. “Now you’re getting personal, disparaging other players. That’s not what this game is about. The two that complained, I’ve known them for over 25 years and didn’t hear from them. That bothered me.”
At this point, if baseball truly were a reality show, another manager — say, Don Mattingly — would go to the little confession room or whatever they call it and say “I guess what Bruce just doesn’t understand is that Clint and Jack were just trying to stick up for their own guys. Which is something Bruce would probably do if the situation were reversed.”
I’d like to think that Mattingly would then offer some version of “Oh no he din’t!” but that’s probably asking too much.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 0
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)