Jul 6, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
There was some random speculation that Joe Girardi would sit Derek Jeter in tonight’s game against the Indians. Partially to rest him but — tin foil hats on please — also to make sure that he doesn’t get his 3000th hit on the road by going 4 for 4 or better.
Stop that. It could happen. He’s done it twice this year.
Anyway, Girardi has thrown caution to the wind and has Jeter in tonight’s lineup. Which, to be honest, I’m happy to see. Manipulating the playing time in order to ensure that a milestone is reached in front of the home crowd is weak sauce. I mean, even though everyone hates Bowie Kuhn and everyone loves Hank Aaron, I’m happy that Kuhn made the Braves play him on the road in early 1974. The game is greater than the records.
Unless Girardi and the Yankees seriously doubt Jeter’s ability to get four hits in an entire weekend series before the All-Star break, and are hoping he gets one or two tonight an in effort to make the home milestone more likely. The Yankees do open up the second half on an eight game road trip. How awkward would it be if, after a day off today, Jeter couldn’t get four hits in the four-game series against the Rays this weekend?
OK, I’ll stop now. This is turning into a Mobius strip or an M.C. Escher Infinite Staircase of a post. All about Jeter and 3000 hits.
I probably need to get out more.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)