Derek Jeter had better not go 4 for 4 tonight!

Jul 6, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

There was some random speculation that Joe Girardi would sit Derek Jeter in tonight’s game against the Indians. Partially to rest him but — tin foil hats on please — also to make sure that he doesn’t get his 3000th hit on the road by going 4 for 4 or better.

Stop that. It could happen. He’s done it twice this year.

Anyway, Girardi has thrown caution to the wind and has Jeter in tonight’s lineup. Which, to be honest, I’m happy to see.  Manipulating the playing time in order to ensure that a milestone is reached in front of the home crowd is weak sauce. I mean, even though everyone hates Bowie Kuhn and everyone loves Hank Aaron, I’m happy that Kuhn made the Braves play him on the road in early 1974.  The game is greater than the records.

Unless …

Unless Girardi and the Yankees seriously doubt Jeter’s ability to get four hits in an entire weekend series before the All-Star break, and are hoping he gets one or two tonight an in effort to make the home milestone more likely. The Yankees do open up the second half on an eight game road trip. How awkward would it be if, after a day off today, Jeter couldn’t get four hits in the four-game series against the Rays this weekend?

OK, I’ll stop now. This is turning into a Mobius strip or an M.C. Escher Infinite Staircase of a post. All about Jeter and 3000 hits.

I probably need to get out more.

1. Detroit Michael - Jul 6, 2011 at 3:22 PM

If Jeter has three hits already and the game is a blow-out, Girardi can always choose to rest Jeter for the remainder of the game. If it’s not a blowout and Jeter is having that good of a game, hardly anyone would want Jeter to sit anyway just to get #3,000 at home. It’s really not a problem.

2. bleedgreen - Jul 6, 2011 at 3:22 PM

If he gets 2 or 3 hits tonight, he’ll be pulled. Plain and simple.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 6, 2011 at 3:35 PM

What if he gets 3 hits in the next 4 games…2999 going into the All Star break. How much do you want to bet all the joking that will go on if he gets a hit in the All Star game…”Does that count as Jeter’s 3000 hit?” Ha ha ha, so funny. I hate the announcers already and the games hasn’t even started yet.

• kopy - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:06 PM

If we can count hits in All-Star games, can we say he has already has it and be done with this? Assuming he has 4 career ASG hits.

4. deathmonkey41 - Jul 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Craig,

Are you ever ever worried that Jeter is going to use some of those vast fortunes of his to hire a Jeff Gillooly-type character to whack you across the knees one day? Or more apt- your hands so that you can’t type?

5. FC - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM

This is all rather stupid. If Jeter wants to hit #3000 in Yankee Land he’ll do it. If he hits 3 tonight, he can always fake a weak grounder or a K as needed, I mean, how could you possibly tell if he decides NOT to hit #3000 in Cleveland if he gets the chance? Jeter controls his destiny not Girardi. I’m not saying he’d do that, but if he did I wouldn’t give him a hard time for it. It’s not everyday you hit #3000 and in front of the home crowd is all the better. Of course if he totally freezes and slumps till the All-Star Break I’m heading to Rogers Centre! nyak nyak nyak!

6. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:12 PM

If Jeter’s first 4 hits after he gets 3000 are as covered as his next 4 hits will be, than know one can deny mainstream sports media are lapdogs at the bowl of Jeter juiciness.

• Joe - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

a) If you need this as proof, then you haven’t been paying attention over the last 15 years or so.
      b) This would be no different than anybody else who ever approached 3,000. At least since people have started caring about it.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I don’t remember even half of this hype being applied to Craig Biggio getting 3000 hits. Or to Jim Thome closing in on 600 homers. BTW, my comment on the media was entirely tongue in cheek.

7. Joe - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Jeter is a vengeful man. He’ll get #3,000 on the road just to spite Cashman and the Steinbrenners for playing hardball with him last winter. “Hope that didn’t cost ya $3 million, boys!”

8. stinkfingers - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:55 PM

He wont be pulled if he gets 3 hits… But you know he wont take that bat off his shoulders in at bat #4.

Take 3 strikes, and have a seat.

9. phukyouk - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:57 PM

what happens if he goes 4 for 5 or 4 for 6?

10. mella21 - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM

3,000 hits is such a momentous occasion for any baseball player on any team. I remember Jeter coming into the league, so it makes this extra special. Im happy for him, I don’t care when he gets it or how long it takes, it doesn’t detract from the accomplishment.

I think its strange how the media has sort of decided to harp on everything except what a great accomplishment in baseball this is.

• 18thstreet - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I know I’ll never forget where I was when Craig Biggio got his 3000th hit. No, wait. That’s the birth of my children. I don’t remember where I was for Craig Biggio.

• mrfloydpink - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Are you seriously suggesting that nobody in the media is saying good things about Jeter, and/or making a big deal about this accomplishment? Where have you been, exactly?

• mella21 - Jul 6, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I haven’t followed every media story, but just from watching a couple games over the weekend and seeing a couple internet stories, it felt more critical instead of commemorative. Which given the actual accomplishment of getting 3K seemed…strange.

Still, if that’s not the case I stand corrected because I admit I’m just a casual fan. I haven’t chased every single news story down about Jeter, just commenting on the ones I have seen.

11. Reggie's Bush - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Please get 4 hits today.

My thoughts on this is just: ugh.

12. aceshigh11 - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM

With the way Jeter plays nowadays, he’ll never go 4-for-4 in a game ever again.

(yes, I’m kidding)

But I have to ask: is this coverage the norm for a player approaching 3,000 hits, or is this because it’s DEREK SANDERSON JETER?

I know, dumb question…but was Craig Biggio’s 3,000th hit as big a deal for hardcore MLB fans? It IS quite a milestone, regardless of the player or team.

13. yankeesfanlen - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:26 PM

There’s a pile of unused fireworks behind Progressive Field that will spontaneously combust if he has 4 hits tonight. So will Jorge Posada.

14. Charles Gates - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:30 PM

The Schadenfreude List of DJ3K:
    – Jeter hits a double for 3,000, but misses first rounding the bag. Gets called out on appeal.
    – Jeter hits a single (or anything else but a HR) and immediately gets picked off.
    – Jeter hits some kind of weak blooper that and outfielder makes a diving attempt at it. The ump calls it a trap, giving him the hit. However, instant replay would have revealed that it was a clean catch, and therefore the 3,000th really wasn’t.
    – After the 3,000th, the opposing team pulls the hidden ball trick during the celebration and tags him out.
    – Somehow, A-Rod ends up with the ball and won’t give it back.
    – Derek Jeter hits a ball to the warning track in right field. The right fielder is camped under it, but Jeffrey Maier or Tony Tarasco reaches out over the fence and steals it over the wall.

• Charles Gates - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

- Jeter goes all Wade Boggs on us during the celebration/spectacle, but falls off the horse onto the warning track breaking his coccyx.

• Charles Gates - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:43 PM

- Past schadenfreude and into sadism, but: Kendrys Morales.

• Charles Gates - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

- The Yankees are down 12-0 in the 9th inning, the opposing pitcher is carrying a perfect game or a no-no and Jeter drops a bunt, preying on the third baseman guarding the line, breaking up the perfect0/no-no and an unwritten rule all in one.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:50 PM

“- Somehow, A-Rod ends up with the ball and won’t give it back.”

That one is my favorite.

– Jeter gets hit number 3,000 on a sharp liner up the middle, but before the crowd can acknowledge his accomplishment, Girardi pulls him from the game and pitch runs Jorge Posada for him.

15. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Wait! Jeter is close to 3,000 hits? Why didn’t anyone notify me?

16. yankeesfanlen - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Almost missed the tin foil hat reference, nice blast from the past. Can we bring back the secret handshake too?

17. proudlycanadian - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM

He was hitless in his first 2 at bats. #3,000 is very unlikely tonight.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3251)