Jul 6, 2011, 10:53 PM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter talked his way into the starting lineup Wednesday evening in Cleveland and pushed a step closer to reaching one of baseball’s elite milestones: 3,000 career hits.
Jeter struck out on a tricky fastball from Indians right-hander Justin Masterson to open the game and then flied out to center field in the third inning. In the sixth he drew a walk, his first since returning from a three-week battle with a right calf strain.
The heroics finally arrived in the eighth.
Jeter tallied the 2,997th hit of his career in his final at-bat of the night, ripping a one-out double over the head of Indians right fielder Austin Kearns. He then advanced to third base on a groundout by outfielder Curtis Granderson but was stranded when first baseman Mark Teixeira was retired to end the frame. The Yankees lost to the Indians 5-3.
Jeter heads back to Yankee Stadium on Thursday for the start of a four-game series against the Rays. He’s in prime position to reach hit No. 3,000 in front of the fans who’ve cheered him on through thick and thin over the past 17-plus seasons. It should be quite an atmosphere this weekend in New York.
Jeter is 5-for-9 lifetime against Thursday’s scheduled starter Jeff Niemann, 1-for-2 lifetime against Friday’s starter Jeremy Hellickson, 6-for-25 (.240) against Saturday’s starter David Price and 17-for-54 (.315) against Sunday’s starter James Shields. Of course, small sample sizes such as these mean very little and every one of Jeter’s at-bats is going to be accompanied by postseason-like pressure. Past results matter not.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)