Jul 6, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
It shouldn’t take anyone more than a couple of guesses to figure out which pitcher Derek Jeter has the most of his 3,000 hits against. It is, of course, the one pitcher who has has been on a rival AL East team for the entire duration of Jeter’s career.
Here are the 12 pitchers Jeter has at least 20 hits against:
1. Tim Wakefield – 34-for-130 – .279/.315/.402
2. Pedro Martinez – 29-for-107 – .271/.350/.439
3. Sidney Ponson – 29-for-81 – .358/.402/.580
4. Rodrigo Lopez – 26-for-61 – .426/.493/.672
5. Josh Beckett – 25-for-83 – .301/.358/.422
6. Jamie Moyer – 23-for-74 – .311/.354/.432
7. Aaron Sele – 23-for-72 – .319/.367/.403
8. Roy Halladay – 22-for-94 – .234/.294/.277
9. John Lackey – 21-for-72 – .292/.378/.417
9. Derek Lowe – 21-for-73 – .288/.342/.301
9. David Wells – 21-for-67 – .313/.324/.522
12. Curt Schilling – 20-for-68 – .294/.324/.397
Nine of the 12 pitched for the Red Sox, though Moyer was with Boston only briefly, going 7-1 for the team in 1996. Most of Jeter’s hits off him came while he was with the Mariners.
Some other notables:
Cliff Lee – 19-for-47 – .404/.462/.553
Johan Santana – 19-for-43 – .442/.478/.628
CC Sabathia – 13-for-29 – .448/.484/.552
Greg Maddux – 12-for-26 – .462/.500/.462
Hideo Nomo – 12-for-20 – .600/.680/.800
Jeter has fared quite well against some terrific hurlers. It goes hand in hand with his strong postseason performance. Jeter has an approach and swing that has tended to make him just as effective against great pitchers as he is against mediocrities.
Jeter has hit 1.000 against 78 different pitchers. Most of those are in one or two at-bats, of course, but he’s 4-for-4 against Dennys Reyes, Matt Riley (with two homers) and Bob Tewksbury. He’s also 5-for-6 against longtime teammate Ramiro Mendoza and 7-for-10 against Jeremy Sowers.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
A Bill Heywood must be allowed to speak his mind.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
In-game interviews are usually dumb. But last night one was at least funny.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Werth has been out with a fractured wrist since being hit by pitch on May 15.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
They don’t like it. He doesn’t care. He’s right not to.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
And it flutters differently every time.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:29 AM EDT
What a world we live in these days.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:03 AM EDT
Justin Verlander, doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.
Jul 5, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Jake Marisnick isn’t afraid of the Green Monster.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Hisashi Iwakuma will be activated on Monday. He hasn’t started since April 20.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
The Braves designated a pair of veteran relievers for assignment following Sunday’s loss to the Phillies.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
The pitching-thin Dodgers will call on Eric Surkamp to start on Monday, it appears.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:48 PM EDT
Find out who made the starting rosters for the AL and NL squads in the 2015 All-Star Game. Spoiler: no Omar Infante.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Pirates added some depth, claiming Travis Ishikawa off waivers from the Giants on Sunday.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Marcell Ozuna has slumped badly over his last 10 games and will try to figure things out at Triple-A.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Newsday’s David Lennon details how the Mets were close to trading for Manny Ramirez back in 2005.
Jul 5, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Strasburg suffered the oblique strain Saturday in his start against the Giants. He had thrown 3 2/3 scoreless innings in that outing and was also sharp in his previous two starts since returning from a trapezius injury.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:02 PM EDT
It looks, at first glance, like another smart rebuilding move for the determined-to-rebuild Phils.
Jul 5, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Garcia boasts a 1.69 ERA and 0.88 WHIP in seven starts (48 innings) this season. He’s missed a ton of time to injuries in his career, but most of the major problems have been elbow- and shoulder-related.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Soler wound up missing over a month with a sprained left ankle.
Jul 5, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Schoop originally landed on the disabled list on April 18 after being diagnosed with both a PCL tear and MCL strain in his left knee.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 31
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 91
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (93)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)