Jul 6, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
You’ll recall Dr. Anthony Galea, the Canadian doctor who has been under indictment for smuggling HGH into the United States? And who counts as his former patients Alex Rodriguez, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran and Tiger Woods? Well, he just reached a plea agreement with federal authorities. The agreement calls for less-than-the-recommended jail time in exchange for cooperation in their ongoing investigation.
What kind of case that cooperation is designed to aid is an interesting question. As you may recall, the feds questioned Rodriguez, Reyes, Beltran and Woods about this whole affair. While some would presumably enjoy seeing more athletes with their butts in slings over PED stuff, it would be pretty unorthodox for the feds to go after drug users in any serious way while going relatively easy on the dealer. Or maybe there’s a whole other part of this that doesn’t touch on the athletes. Other distributors and the like.
Or maybe someone decided that the whole false statement/perjury/obstruction of justice game that was played with Barry Bonds and is now being played with Roger Clemens is too tasty a morsel to pass up. It Galea sings and his song is different than that sung by the athletes that spoke with the Buffalo U.S. Attorney’s office, things could get interesting.
Stay tuned, folks.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 4
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 15
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)