Jul 6, 2011, 4:45 PM EST
You’ll recall Dr. Anthony Galea, the Canadian doctor who has been under indictment for smuggling HGH into the United States? And who counts as his former patients Alex Rodriguez, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran and Tiger Woods? Well, he just reached a plea agreement with federal authorities. The agreement calls for less-than-the-recommended jail time in exchange for cooperation in their ongoing investigation.
What kind of case that cooperation is designed to aid is an interesting question. As you may recall, the feds questioned Rodriguez, Reyes, Beltran and Woods about this whole affair. While some would presumably enjoy seeing more athletes with their butts in slings over PED stuff, it would be pretty unorthodox for the feds to go after drug users in any serious way while going relatively easy on the dealer. Or maybe there’s a whole other part of this that doesn’t touch on the athletes. Other distributors and the like.
Or maybe someone decided that the whole false statement/perjury/obstruction of justice game that was played with Barry Bonds and is now being played with Roger Clemens is too tasty a morsel to pass up. It Galea sings and his song is different than that sung by the athletes that spoke with the Buffalo U.S. Attorney’s office, things could get interesting.
Stay tuned, folks.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)