Jul 6, 2011, 4:45 PM EST
You’ll recall Dr. Anthony Galea, the Canadian doctor who has been under indictment for smuggling HGH into the United States? And who counts as his former patients Alex Rodriguez, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran and Tiger Woods? Well, he just reached a plea agreement with federal authorities. The agreement calls for less-than-the-recommended jail time in exchange for cooperation in their ongoing investigation.
What kind of case that cooperation is designed to aid is an interesting question. As you may recall, the feds questioned Rodriguez, Reyes, Beltran and Woods about this whole affair. While some would presumably enjoy seeing more athletes with their butts in slings over PED stuff, it would be pretty unorthodox for the feds to go after drug users in any serious way while going relatively easy on the dealer. Or maybe there’s a whole other part of this that doesn’t touch on the athletes. Other distributors and the like.
Or maybe someone decided that the whole false statement/perjury/obstruction of justice game that was played with Barry Bonds and is now being played with Roger Clemens is too tasty a morsel to pass up. It Galea sings and his song is different than that sung by the athletes that spoke with the Buffalo U.S. Attorney’s office, things could get interesting.
Stay tuned, folks.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 5
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (77)