Jul 6, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
You’ll recall Dr. Anthony Galea, the Canadian doctor who has been under indictment for smuggling HGH into the United States? And who counts as his former patients Alex Rodriguez, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran and Tiger Woods? Well, he just reached a plea agreement with federal authorities. The agreement calls for less-than-the-recommended jail time in exchange for cooperation in their ongoing investigation.
What kind of case that cooperation is designed to aid is an interesting question. As you may recall, the feds questioned Rodriguez, Reyes, Beltran and Woods about this whole affair. While some would presumably enjoy seeing more athletes with their butts in slings over PED stuff, it would be pretty unorthodox for the feds to go after drug users in any serious way while going relatively easy on the dealer. Or maybe there’s a whole other part of this that doesn’t touch on the athletes. Other distributors and the like.
Or maybe someone decided that the whole false statement/perjury/obstruction of justice game that was played with Barry Bonds and is now being played with Roger Clemens is too tasty a morsel to pass up. It Galea sings and his song is different than that sung by the athletes that spoke with the Buffalo U.S. Attorney’s office, things could get interesting.
Stay tuned, folks.
- Red Sox place Hanley Ramirez on disabled list with shoulder injury 0
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 150
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)