Jul 6, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
You’ll recall Dr. Anthony Galea, the Canadian doctor who has been under indictment for smuggling HGH into the United States? And who counts as his former patients Alex Rodriguez, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran and Tiger Woods? Well, he just reached a plea agreement with federal authorities. The agreement calls for less-than-the-recommended jail time in exchange for cooperation in their ongoing investigation.
What kind of case that cooperation is designed to aid is an interesting question. As you may recall, the feds questioned Rodriguez, Reyes, Beltran and Woods about this whole affair. While some would presumably enjoy seeing more athletes with their butts in slings over PED stuff, it would be pretty unorthodox for the feds to go after drug users in any serious way while going relatively easy on the dealer. Or maybe there’s a whole other part of this that doesn’t touch on the athletes. Other distributors and the like.
Or maybe someone decided that the whole false statement/perjury/obstruction of justice game that was played with Barry Bonds and is now being played with Roger Clemens is too tasty a morsel to pass up. It Galea sings and his song is different than that sung by the athletes that spoke with the Buffalo U.S. Attorney’s office, things could get interesting.
Stay tuned, folks.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 16
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 57
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)