Jul 6, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, an accomplished .278/.357/.513 career hitter, has registered a lowly .221 batting average and .281 on-base percentage since the beginning of June.
After another 0-for-4 performance in Tuesday’s loss to the Twins, Longoria may have revealed to reporters the primary cause for that extended slump.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the talented 25-year-old has been experiencing occasional discomfort in his left foot this season, the result of a nerve problem called a Morton’s neuroma. He tried to downplay the matter on Tuesday night:
“Every once in a while I take a bad swing and it just acts up. At this point I’ve gotten used to it. It’s something I’m going to battle through and it’s not going to affect playing time.”
The Rays are likely hoping that Longoria can limp his way to the All-Star break and then return as a refreshed player in mid-July. He was not named to the American League All-Star roster this year for the first time since breaking into the majors in 2008 and is sporting an OPS (.781) that is 89 points below his career mean (.870).
The frosted tips and “Wild Thing” haircut he’s been sporting this week may be part of a slump-busting effort.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)