Jul 6, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, an accomplished .278/.357/.513 career hitter, has registered a lowly .221 batting average and .281 on-base percentage since the beginning of June.
After another 0-for-4 performance in Tuesday’s loss to the Twins, Longoria may have revealed to reporters the primary cause for that extended slump.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the talented 25-year-old has been experiencing occasional discomfort in his left foot this season, the result of a nerve problem called a Morton’s neuroma. He tried to downplay the matter on Tuesday night:
“Every once in a while I take a bad swing and it just acts up. At this point I’ve gotten used to it. It’s something I’m going to battle through and it’s not going to affect playing time.”
The Rays are likely hoping that Longoria can limp his way to the All-Star break and then return as a refreshed player in mid-July. He was not named to the American League All-Star roster this year for the first time since breaking into the majors in 2008 and is sporting an OPS (.781) that is 89 points below his career mean (.870).
The frosted tips and “Wild Thing” haircut he’s been sporting this week may be part of a slump-busting effort.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)