Jul 6, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
John Danks was able to throw 36 pitches in a bullpen session yesterday. He’ll still have to make it through another side session Thursday, but Paul Casella of MLB.com reports that he’s tentatively scheduled to make his first minor league rehab start Sunday.
Danks has been sidelined since leaving a start against the Nationals on June 25 with a right oblique strain. He’s scheduled to make two rehab starts before being reevaluated, but White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen indicated that they aren’t in a hurry to bring him back to the big-league rotation.
“Danks threw today, he’s fine,” manager Ozzie Guillen said. [Pitching coach Don Cooper] has got a schedule for him in the Minor Leagues. We’re not going to rush him. We’ve got plenty of days to come back.”
Assuming he needs just the two starts in the minor leagues, Danks lines up to make his return July 20 against against the Royals.
Danks is 3-8 with a 4.21 ERA over 15 starts this season. The 26-year-old left-hander had a 1.14 ERA and 19/3 K/BB ratio over his last four outings prior to the injury.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 48
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)