Jul 6, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
John Danks was able to throw 36 pitches in a bullpen session yesterday. He’ll still have to make it through another side session Thursday, but Paul Casella of MLB.com reports that he’s tentatively scheduled to make his first minor league rehab start Sunday.
Danks has been sidelined since leaving a start against the Nationals on June 25 with a right oblique strain. He’s scheduled to make two rehab starts before being reevaluated, but White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen indicated that they aren’t in a hurry to bring him back to the big-league rotation.
“Danks threw today, he’s fine,” manager Ozzie Guillen said. [Pitching coach Don Cooper] has got a schedule for him in the Minor Leagues. We’re not going to rush him. We’ve got plenty of days to come back.”
Assuming he needs just the two starts in the minor leagues, Danks lines up to make his return July 20 against against the Royals.
Danks is 3-8 with a 4.21 ERA over 15 starts this season. The 26-year-old left-hander had a 1.14 ERA and 19/3 K/BB ratio over his last four outings prior to the injury.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)