Jul 6, 2011, 6:41 PM EST
It looks like Chone Figgins is about to start spending a lot more time on the bench.
The Mariners announced after Wednesday’s 2-0 loss to the Mariners that they’re promoting 2009 third-round pick Kyle Seager to the majors. The University of North Carolina product had been on an absolute tear in his two weeks in Triple-A, hitting .455/.500/.673 in 55 at-bats.
Before that, Seager hit .312/.381/.459 in Double-A to begin the season. He came in at .345/.419/.503 last year, but that was at High Desert in the California League, one of the five best offensive environments in the minors. As a result, Seager wasn’t taken very seriously as a top prospect entering the season. He’s earned his chance by keeping it going at higher levels, though.
Seager was primarily a second baseman in the minors, and the Mariners left him there in Double-A this year even though they had their No. 1 propsect, Dustin Ackley, ready to take over at that position in the majors. Recently, Seager had been playing a lot more third base, and he figures to see most of his starts there in the majors. It’s possible he may yet end up at second base if the Mariners decide Ackley would be better off in the outfield.
Figgins becomes the odd man out. He’s hitting just .183/.231/.244 in the second year of a four-year, $36 million contract. The Mariners only hope of moving him is to take another bad contract in return, and those kinds of deals are usually easier to pull off over the winter than during the season.
Getting dropped to make room for Seager on the roster was catcher Jose Yepez.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)