Pedro Feliciano shut down again, could be done for ’11

Jul 6, 2011, 10:01 PM EDT

Yankees Spring Training Getty Images

Pedro Feliciano‘s first season in pinstripes hasn’t gone so hot. And that’s not likely to change.

According to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, the veteran-left hander has been shut down again from his ongoing rehabilitation from a torn shoulder capsule. He won’t resume throwing for at least a week and seems unlikely to overcome the injury before the end of the 2011 regular season.

Feliciano signed a two-year, $8 million free agent contract with the Yankees this past winter after posting a 3.30 ERA and holding left-hander batters to a .211/.297/.276 slash line in 2010 for the crosstown Mets. The 34-year-old suffered the injury during the middle of spring training and was placed on the disabled list before the start of the season. Things will have to change quickly for him to make it back before October.

1. Brian Murphy - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Honestly, I thought he was already ruled out for the year. A torn shoulder capsule will do that to ya.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I thought the exact same thing. When I first read headline, I thought they were talking about how he might be done for NEXT year. I didn’t realize there was a chance he would be back THIS year.

2. pisano - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Between Marte and Feliciano there’s a lot of money thrown away, but you roll the dice and sometimes snake eyes comes up. It’s a crap shoot.

• gammagammahey - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Don’t forget about Soriano. Maybe he’ll do the Mets a favor and stay out for the whole year so that the Yankees will feel obliged to trade a bucket of balls for K-Rod and keep that option from vesting.

3. foreverchipper10 - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:53 AM

So if the Yanks win it all (and I hope they do not) does he get a ring without participating in a game all season?

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I believe so since he was one roster at one point. I could be wrong though.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win