Placido Polanco will get ailing back examined Thursday

Jul 6, 2011, 9:34 PM EDT

polanco at-bat getty Getty Images

Phillies third baseman Placido Polanco was held out of the starting lineup Wednesday for a second straight game with a pinched nerve in his back.

On Thursday, according to John R. Finger of CSNPhilly.com, the veteran infielder will visit a spinal cord specialist in the Philadelphia area to determine the exact severity of the injury.

Polanco has played through back discomfort for much of the 2011 regular season and it’s showing in his .274/.331/.346 batting line. But he was named to the National League All-Star roster on Sunday and is fully expecting to participate in the Midsummer Classic on July 12 in Phoenix.

“The more I’ve played it made it worse and worse,” said the 35-year-old. “I think that turf in Toronto made it worse. That didn’t help. Something that worries me a little is I’m feeling some numbness on my side, too. So we’ll go ahead and make sure it’s nothing bad, bad.”

None of that sounds good, but Polanco has pledged to play through the injury and the Phillies — without a better option at the hot corner — should continue allowing it. He may need regular days off down the stretch.

1. foreverchipper10 - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:32 AM

If it gets worse the more he plays take a backseat to my boy Chipper for the ASG.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:29 PM

The both are undeserving of being invited to the All-Star Game. Should have been the Cubs 3B.

• duvisited - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Ramirez was going to take two spots?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Yes. That is how bad 3rd base has been in the NL this season. I don’t know throw an outfielder over there. I’m sure one of them can play third base for a couple innings.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Aramis Ramirez has only been good for about 3 weeks this year. The whole crop of NL 3rd basemen this year is awful.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 7, 2011 at 5:50 PM

And in that 3 weeks he has completely surpassed the “competition”.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto