Jul 6, 2011, 10:48 AM EDT
The results are in.
According to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Victorino was diagnosed Tuesday evening with a Grade 1 sprain of his right thumb. The Phillies are considering placing him on the 15-day disabled list but won’t make anything official for at least another 24 hours. They want to see if the situation improves after Victorino takes a day or two of rest.
Here’s Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, speaking Tuesday to CSNPhilly.com:
“Will he miss some time? Probably. How much? I don’t know. I don’t think it’s going to be a whole lot. I say that sometimes and the guy goes from two weeks to six months. We’ll see.
I know his hand is swollen up. He has a jammed thumb. He can’t grip the ball. And it’s hard to grip the bat. They wanted to run some tests and see if something was wrong with it.”
“The Flyin’ Hawaiian” jammed his thumb Sunday while chasing after a fly ball. He’s batting .303/.376/.524 with nine home runs and 34 RBI in 302 plate appearances, and also has 13 stolen bases in 15 attempts.
John Mayberry was recalled from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to provide outfield depth in Victorino’s absence.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 6
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 52
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)