Jul 6, 2011, 10:48 AM EDT
The results are in.
According to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Victorino was diagnosed Tuesday evening with a Grade 1 sprain of his right thumb. The Phillies are considering placing him on the 15-day disabled list but won’t make anything official for at least another 24 hours. They want to see if the situation improves after Victorino takes a day or two of rest.
Here’s Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, speaking Tuesday to CSNPhilly.com:
“Will he miss some time? Probably. How much? I don’t know. I don’t think it’s going to be a whole lot. I say that sometimes and the guy goes from two weeks to six months. We’ll see.
I know his hand is swollen up. He has a jammed thumb. He can’t grip the ball. And it’s hard to grip the bat. They wanted to run some tests and see if something was wrong with it.”
“The Flyin’ Hawaiian” jammed his thumb Sunday while chasing after a fly ball. He’s batting .303/.376/.524 with nine home runs and 34 RBI in 302 plate appearances, and also has 13 stolen bases in 15 attempts.
John Mayberry was recalled from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to provide outfield depth in Victorino’s absence.
- Red Sox place Hanley Ramirez on disabled list with shoulder injury 0
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 150
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)