Jul 6, 2011, 10:48 AM EDT
The results are in.
According to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Victorino was diagnosed Tuesday evening with a Grade 1 sprain of his right thumb. The Phillies are considering placing him on the 15-day disabled list but won’t make anything official for at least another 24 hours. They want to see if the situation improves after Victorino takes a day or two of rest.
Here’s Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, speaking Tuesday to CSNPhilly.com:
“Will he miss some time? Probably. How much? I don’t know. I don’t think it’s going to be a whole lot. I say that sometimes and the guy goes from two weeks to six months. We’ll see.
I know his hand is swollen up. He has a jammed thumb. He can’t grip the ball. And it’s hard to grip the bat. They wanted to run some tests and see if something was wrong with it.”
“The Flyin’ Hawaiian” jammed his thumb Sunday while chasing after a fly ball. He’s batting .303/.376/.524 with nine home runs and 34 RBI in 302 plate appearances, and also has 13 stolen bases in 15 attempts.
John Mayberry was recalled from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to provide outfield depth in Victorino’s absence.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)