Jul 7, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT
I expect to hear a number of injury-themed bag-jobs on the All-Star Game in the coming days. It always happens and people rarely raise an eyebrow about it. I don’t expect that to necessarily be the case with A-Rod, though, because people go out of their way to hate on him. Don’t believe me? Check out this story, supposedly about Derek Jeter getting 3000 hits, but somehow finding a way to insert this paragraph:
A-Rod is the anti-Jeter, a petulant player with tremendous skills who seems to play the game only for himself. He conned the Yankees into taking him on after three steroid-fueled years in Texas during which he hit 156 home runs, then got a new $275 million deal before he was finally outed as a user of performance-enhancing drugs.
The hate is strong out there. I expect to see A-Rod rage in stories about budget talks and the Middle East pretty soon.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)