Jul 7, 2011, 10:40 AM EST
I expect to hear a number of injury-themed bag-jobs on the All-Star Game in the coming days. It always happens and people rarely raise an eyebrow about it. I don’t expect that to necessarily be the case with A-Rod, though, because people go out of their way to hate on him. Don’t believe me? Check out this story, supposedly about Derek Jeter getting 3000 hits, but somehow finding a way to insert this paragraph:
A-Rod is the anti-Jeter, a petulant player with tremendous skills who seems to play the game only for himself. He conned the Yankees into taking him on after three steroid-fueled years in Texas during which he hit 156 home runs, then got a new $275 million deal before he was finally outed as a user of performance-enhancing drugs.
The hate is strong out there. I expect to see A-Rod rage in stories about budget talks and the Middle East pretty soon.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 26
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 149
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (150)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (89)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (71)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)