Jul 7, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
There will be lots of rulings in the Dodgers’ bankruptcy case, but the first major one came today: the judge said that Major League Baseball does not have to turn over the metric-butt-ton of documents Frank McCourt sought in his motion the other day.
The document issue itself is kind of boring, but the overall rationale for denying McCourt’s request bodes well for those of us who would like to see this case move quickly and efficiently: From Bill Shaikin’s report in the L.A. Times:
“This is clearly, in my mind, not an appropriate occasion to turn this hearing into a trial on the commissioner”
Granted, this could bog down again later. But if the judge was not impressed with Frank McCourt’s claims of being singled out by Major League Baseball at this preliminary step of the case, he may very well not be too impressed with it later, either. Which means that it’s more likely that this will be less a “trial on the commissioner” and more of a trial on McCourt’s management of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
And if that’s the case, things won’t go well for him.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 32
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)