Jul 7, 2011, 12:45 PM EST
There will be lots of rulings in the Dodgers’ bankruptcy case, but the first major one came today: the judge said that Major League Baseball does not have to turn over the metric-butt-ton of documents Frank McCourt sought in his motion the other day.
The document issue itself is kind of boring, but the overall rationale for denying McCourt’s request bodes well for those of us who would like to see this case move quickly and efficiently: From Bill Shaikin’s report in the L.A. Times:
“This is clearly, in my mind, not an appropriate occasion to turn this hearing into a trial on the commissioner”
Granted, this could bog down again later. But if the judge was not impressed with Frank McCourt’s claims of being singled out by Major League Baseball at this preliminary step of the case, he may very well not be too impressed with it later, either. Which means that it’s more likely that this will be less a “trial on the commissioner” and more of a trial on McCourt’s management of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
And if that’s the case, things won’t go well for him.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)