Baseball could be back in the Olympics by 2020

Jul 7, 2011, 1:11 PM EDT

Olympic Flag

As I’ve written before, international baseball competitions like the WBC don’t really hold my interest. But I may have a professional interest in this: the International Olympic Committee announced that baseball, among a few other sports, is being put under evaluation for a return to the Olympics effective for the 2020 games.

This could be significant in that, as you may have read, NBC recently won the rights to broadcast the Olympics through 2020. And since, by 2020, I will either have (a) been fired by NBC in an ugly scandal; or (b) managed to convince a couple of people around here that I actually understand baseball a bit and am responsible enough to leave the house, there’s a non-trivial chance that they could send me to the Olympics to cover it!  Which means, seriously IOC, you had better pick a kick-butt city for the 2020 Olympics. If this thing goes down in Bratislava, Slovakia* or some place like that, I’m not gonna be pleased.

Less personally, I’m not sure how I feel about baseball in the Olympics. Depending on the timing, it’s likely to have even less elite-level participation than the WBC does. And, as I’ve said before, the whole national pride + baseball thing tends not work as well with baseball as it does with other sports. It has its moments, but it’s not like the game lends itself to a couple hours straight of insane, patriotic screaming. And yes, I realize that many of you think I’m totally wrong about that.

*Note: one of my former law firms had an office in Bratislava for some reason. When I worked there, a couple of my colleagues from Columbus had to travel to that office to handle some sort of arbitration. Their report back to me on Bratislava: “it’s like Youngstown, Ohio with a castle.”  So, no, it’s not on my bucket list.

(link via BTF)

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I would like baseball to be back in the Olympics. But only with amateur players. No MLB pros. The MLB season can never be interrupted.

2. acheron2112 - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Almost went to Bratislava for a day or two while on vacation (while staying in Budapest), but didn’t make it. Maybe didn’t miss much, I guess.

Budapest is pretty great though.

3. qcubed3 - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM

That is a sweet. “official”, MS Paint Olympic flag.

4. kopy - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I’ve been to Bratislava. I was only there for about 5 hours, but those 5 hours were pretty neat.

• dodger88 - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I’ve been to Youngstown. I was only there for about 5 hours, but those 5 hours were not neat.

5. southpaw2k - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Aww man, and I hear Bratislava is great around the time of year for the Summer Olympics.

6. philly56 - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that Philadelphia is a candidate city for 2020 or 2024. Also, I turned on the Beijing games one morning and saw someone kayaking down rapids in some sort of event, so thh baseball even without MLB stars would be an improvement.

7. foreverchipper10 - Jul 7, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Hey Craig, don’t worry. If they are in a terrible place I will go in your stead as I will hopefully land a job just like this.

8. Andy - Jul 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I’ve been to Bratislava and it’s a nice little city. You could spend a few nice days there. Looks like a place that’d be great in summer.

9. kinggeorge96 - Jul 7, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I met a girl from Bratislava up in Lake George, NY a few years back.. AND she worked for a law firm there! Talk about coincedence… I think not!

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3182)